[SOLVED] Packet Loss

Jan 1, 2021
I am having high packet loss, I have run pingplotter over time and found 20-80% loss in hops 4-13 which varies over time, sometimes none, most of the time 20-40%, sometimes 70-80% loss on across all hops . I am running pinglotter on a wired connection, from a desktop as follows:

Ryzen 3900x,
Meg x570 ACE motherboard,
EVGA SuperNova 750 G5, 80 plus Gold 750W power supply
Running windows 10 64 bit
Wired connection

Using ATT Fiber, with supplied BGW210-700 modem/router
23 devices connected, at the time of review 7 active
No error messages other than Call of Duty Warzone showing high packet loss

No changes to computer/hardware or other setup during this time.

Other attempts at fix:
ran tracert on separate computer (wireless connection), still multiple losses to google.com
ran pingplotter using wireless connection on original computer through wireless connection from mother board, still showed loss.
reset modem no change
checked at different times of day no significant differences
used exitlag to try to get a stable connection to warzone, mild improvement to 10-20% loss

Would appreciate thoughts on how to fix this.

Last edited:
Solution
When you run pingplot is it only on hops say 4-13. Is hop 13 the final destination or do you get no loss to the final destination.

You have to be very careful with these automated tools and understand what it is actually doing. Loss in the middle of the path only means nothing. Many routers are configured to limit the amount of ping/trace traffic they respond to to prevent denial of service attacks.

The bad news is even if it does say start in hop 4 and go all the way to the end it is going to be hard to get this fixed.

If it was in hop1 that is your router so you have full control. Hop 2 generally is the connection you pay your ISP for and they will generally fix it since you are paying for a service.

Once you get more...

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year + Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd advise on using a laptop or another system or a device that can pair with the wireless network to see if you're also experiencing packet/data loss on those devices. You might want to see if the modem/router has a firmware update pending.

If the issue is isolated to your desktop alone, then make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, then make sure you're on the latest OS version (20H2 for Windows 10) and then reinstall all drivers for your platform, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator and see if the issue is alleviated.

When you run pingplot is it only on hops say 4-13. Is hop 13 the final destination or do you get no loss to the final destination.

You have to be very careful with these automated tools and understand what it is actually doing. Loss in the middle of the path only means nothing. Many routers are configured to limit the amount of ping/trace traffic they respond to to prevent denial of service attacks.

The bad news is even if it does say start in hop 4 and go all the way to the end it is going to be hard to get this fixed.

If it was in hop1 that is your router so you have full control. Hop 2 generally is the connection you pay your ISP for and they will generally fix it since you are paying for a service.

Once you get more into the network it gets much harder. The router/connection that is causing the problem may not even be in your ISP network. You have no contract with any other ISP so they will not accept outage reports from you. Besides there are too may idiots that have no clue that the techs that run these routers avoid any contact with end users.

So you want to do some more careful testing to make sure it is not something you can actually fix...ie in hop 1 or hop 2. If the first router that is having issues is owned by your ISP you might try to talk to them but I would not get my hopes up. Last time I called my ISP the first person I talked to did not even know what a ping command was, she just followed here script but lucicly

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Jan 1, 2021
My error, hop 1 then doesn't even display so I hadnt paid as much attention, just shows 100% loss, hop 16 is final destination with no loss.

Jan 1, 2021
Thank you for the help, after looking at the first hop in detail I saw hop six was an IPv6 hop. Switching to IPv4 within the BGW210-700 modem/router significantly improved all losses and now are within acceptable ranges.

Reactions: SamirD