[SOLVED] Packet loss

Dec 18, 2021
Hello, I am having issue with packet losses on all devices, but most noticable packet loss is on my PC when I am playing games (League Of Legends). I started losing packets like 3 days ago.
This is what I have tried to fix it.
  • Restarted router 3x times (nothing changed)
  • Unplugged all cables to modem and router (nothing changed)
  • Changed ethernet cabel to a new one (nothing changed)
  • Resetted my router (nothing changed)
  • Tried to randomly reinstall Windows, I was really hopeless... (nothing changed)
  • Tried some tips from ytb tutorials on packet loss fix+internet ping boost etc... (nothing changed)
Here is graph, when I tested my packet loss
View: https://imgur.com/a/R8IKpYZ

MY PC SPECTS :
WIN 10 HOME - 21H2 19044.1415 BUILD
PROCCESOR: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
GPU: AMD Sapphire R9 270X Dual X 2GB
MOTHERBOARD: MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
RAM: 16GB
PSU: Corsair CX600
SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 2,5- 250GB

Last edited:
Solution
Your problem is all the testing you have done using normal tools shows you have no issues.

So first you have be sure you have a actual network issue to the game. Many times games tell lies. They can for example get delayed by a video routine and then when they finally get around to looking for the network data they blame the delay on the network rather than blame it on the program for not looking in the buffer where the data was waiting to be read.

Testing to some random testing sites just means you have issue to the testing site it does not actually mean there is a real issue. That site clearly says you only have 7ms of jitter. Many games can easily tolerate 100ms.

You can try to run the pathping to the actual game server but...
Dec 18, 2021
The image you provided does not show any packet loss (0/895).

I see 12/895 for late packets.

Is that the image you intended to post?

Just for the record:

At the Command Prompt run "tracert 8.8.8.8" (without quotes) and post the results.

View: https://imgur.com/a/2D3ffdR
Here are the results, oh yeah i am having late packet issues, but what i have found that late packets means packet loss too, but I guess I found some miss informations. When I am playing League Of Legends it feels really bad, even they are packet loss I am having 40 ping in average and then randomly ping lag but I am still having 40ms.... Its not totally unplayable but its so aannoying, it tilts me a lot.

Ralston18

Titan
The loss/lag could be between you (or you and your ISP) and the LoL server. Nothing you can fix.

Try "pathping 8.8.8.8" and post the results. (That test will take a few minutes.)

What Packet Loss test application are you running?

If League of Legends "feels really bad" then there may be other reasons.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Late packets are not packet loss. This site is just using that term I think to talk about jitter. There is no such thing as late packets, this site has made up its own value that it feels is too high.

It all doesn't likely matter. A test to that server site likely follows a different path through the internet than to the game server. Unless the problem is in the connection to your house it does not actually test connection to the game server.

You must test this yourself manually, there really is no other way unless the game company has a network testing server.

You would do a tracert to the game company server and then ping various hops in the path trying to find the source.

BUT since the tracert to 8.8.8.8 is good it means it is likely outside your ISP control. Does not do a lot of good to test and find out the problem is between the game company ISP and another ISP that is not yours.

The only things you can fix are the connection inside your house which you would see by running a ping to hop1 and hop 2 which most times is the connection between your house and the ISP first router.

Dec 18, 2021
The loss/lag could be between you (or you and your ISP) and the LoL server. Nothing you can fix.

Try "pathping 8.8.8.8" and post the results. (That test will take a few minutes.)

What Packet Loss test application are you running?

If League of Legends "feels really bad" then there may be other reasons.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.
Updated my post about my system hardware specs and os informations. Also the test isnt a program I found it on web, here is adress https://packetlosstest.com

- Here are results of the pathping test
View: https://imgur.com/a/Toq3vXa

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021
Late packets are not packet loss. This site is just using that term I think to talk about jitter. There is no such thing as late packets, this site has made up its own value that it feels is too high.

It all doesn't likely matter. A test to that server site likely follows a different path through the internet than to the game server. Unless the problem is in the connection to your house it does not actually test connection to the game server.

You must test this yourself manually, there really is no other way unless the game company has a network testing server.

You would do a tracert to the game company server and then ping various hops in the path trying to find the source.

BUT since the tracert to 8.8.8.8 is good it means it is likely outside your ISP control. Does not do a lot of good to test and find out the problem is between the game company ISP and another ISP that is not yours.

The only things you can fix are the connection inside your house which you would see by running a ping to hop1 and hop 2 which most times is the connection between your house and the ISP first router.
So youre telling me that issue isnt on my side? Its propably on ISP side? Also I am having this "packet loss" or high jitter or what is it on all devices and opera GX not only League Of Legends. What i was talking that when i am on Opera GX or watching videos I dont even notice it, but when I am playing I feel the late jitter, I get micro lag for like 0,2-0,5 seconds and then the game continues, but my ping sits pernamently at 40ms+-

Your problem is all the testing you have done using normal tools shows you have no issues.

So first you have be sure you have a actual network issue to the game. Many times games tell lies. They can for example get delayed by a video routine and then when they finally get around to looking for the network data they blame the delay on the network rather than blame it on the program for not looking in the buffer where the data was waiting to be read.

Testing to some random testing sites just means you have issue to the testing site it does not actually mean there is a real issue. That site clearly says you only have 7ms of jitter. Many games can easily tolerate 100ms.

You can try to run the pathping to the actual game server but if you see a problem it will likely be in the game company ISP. You have already tested your network and your ISP network to google which is what 8.8.8.8 is. That testing says the wires to your house and your equipment in your house are fine. Its not like the traffic going to the game company has different wires going to your house to run on. You can do nothing about the data once it leaves your house. Maybe if you get real detailed data where the problem is you might be able to call the game company and have them contact their ISP.

I would run some more pathping and normal pings to 8.8.8.8 just to be sure it is not some random things that you just got unlucky and did not see when you tested. After that I would start to suspect a problem with the game or something related to the game on your machine rather than a actual network problem.

Solution
Dec 18, 2021

You can try to run the pathping to the actual game server but if you see a problem it will likely be in the game company ISP. You have already tested your network and your ISP network to google which is what 8.8.8.8 is. That testing says the wires to your house and your equipment in your house are fine. Its not like the traffic going to the game company has different wires going to your house to run on. You can do nothing about the data once it leaves your house. Maybe if you get real detailed data where the problem is you might be able to call the game company and have them contact their ISP.

I would run some more pathping and normal pings to 8.8.8.8 just to be sure it is not some random things that you just got unlucky and did not see when you tested. After that I would start to suspect a problem with the game or something related to the game on your machine rather than a actual network problem.
I tested ping google.com -t for few minutes just by now and the ping was usually around 20-30 but sometimes it was 200+ in like 3-4 pings out of I would say 200+ total pings.

What causes that is data is being held in some device likely because of data congestion. It is waiting for other traffic to complete so it can send you data.

What you now do it make you own pathping tester. Open a bunch of cmd windows and leave ping run to 8.8.8.8 as well as the IP you see in hop 1 and hop 2 of your trace. If you get really lucky the problem might be here.

What you hope to see is a corresponding spike in one of these other ping windows. Hop1 is unlikely because it is the ethernet cable between your pc and the router......if you are using wifi it is extremely common to get spikes in this hop. If you see issues in hop 2 this can be 2 different things . The simplest to fix would be there is some program in your house exceeding the bandwidth you purchase from the ISP. Most times it will be upload that is being overloaded because download is so huge on most people connection. If it is not your traffic then it become messy. Most internet connections share the final bandwidth between many homes in the same area. It is in general large enough so multiple people can run at the maximum rate they pay for at the same time. The problem is if you would get a couple of teens living near you running torrent 24x 7 you can easily have capacity issues. The ISP likely will not admit the system is overloaded or they actually sell many times more bandwidth than they can actually provide. If you were seeing packet loss in hop 2 that the ISP will fix but latency is not something they even promise in their contracts.

If both these hops are good you can continue to test other hops but lets say you find there is a problem on a router owned by say level3 communications. Its not like they are going to talk to you if were to call them.

Dec 18, 2021
What causes that is data is being held in some device likely because of data congestion. It is waiting for other traffic to complete so it can send you data.

What you now do it make you own pathping tester. Open a bunch of cmd windows and leave ping run to 8.8.8.8 as well as the IP you see in hop 1 and hop 2 of your trace. If you get really lucky the problem might be here.

What you hope to see is a corresponding spike in one of these other ping windows. Hop1 is unlikely because it is the ethernet cable between your pc and the router......if you are using wifi it is extremely common to get spikes in this hop. If you see issues in hop 2 this can be 2 different things . The simplest to fix would be there is some program in your house exceeding the bandwidth you purchase from the ISP. Most times it will be upload that is being overloaded because download is so huge on most people connection. If it is not your traffic then it become messy. Most internet connections share the final bandwidth between many homes in the same area. It is in general large enough so multiple people can run at the maximum rate they pay for at the same time. The problem is if you would get a couple of teens living near you running torrent 24x 7 you can easily have capacity issues. The ISP likely will not admit the system is overloaded or they actually sell many times more bandwidth than they can actually provide. If you were seeing packet loss in hop 2 that the ISP will fix but latency is not something they even promise in their contracts.

If both these hops are good you can continue to test other hops but lets say you find there is a problem on a router owned by say level3 communications. Its not like they are going to talk to you if were to call them.
Here are results of multiple tests that I tried now early in the morning.
View: https://imgur.com/a/a3v62dD
-> 50 pings to google.com
View: https://imgur.com/a/H24TvIE
-> 50 pings to google.com
View: https://imgur.com/a/WYd7Txa
-> 100 pings to my router
View: https://imgur.com/a/bcDBniV
-> pathping to 8.8.8.8
View: https://imgur.com/a/Fumixlf
-> tracert to 8.8.8.8
View: https://imgur.com/a/pzgfNGx
-> 100 pings to google.com, here is one ping spike

Just more proof that the problem is not in your equipment or your ISP equipment. Run tracert to the game company serer IP. See if the actual game server will respond to ping. If it does not try some router in the trace just before the end server. Note if you find you are getting loss to the game server how do you think you can fix it.

Now this could be you looking for the wrong problem. You thought you had packet loss so ran a bunch of testing sites until your found one that showed some minor problem. It could very well be that the game itself is having a different issue and blaming the network. The web site you found may not have a good path to your ISP and gives this late packet stuff.

Many times games have other issues and blame the network. It is known for example video setting can cause the game to get delayed processing video and then blame this delay on the network. You could have taken a video driver update lately.

Reactions: Ralston18
Dec 18, 2021
Just more proof that the problem is not in your equipment or your ISP equipment. Run tracert to the game company serer IP. See if the actual game server will respond to ping. If it does not try some router in the trace just before the end server. Note if you find you are getting loss to the game server how do you think you can fix it.

Now this could be you looking for the wrong problem. You thought you had packet loss so ran a bunch of testing sites until your found one that showed some minor problem. It could very well be that the game itself is having a different issue and blaming the network. The web site you found may not have a good path to your ISP and gives this late packet stuff.

Many times games have other issues and blame the network. It is known for example video setting can cause the game to get delayed processing video and then blame this delay on the network. You could have taken a video driver update lately.
View: https://imgur.com/a/b8CtdKC
Here is tracert to League Of Legends EUW DNS
Also i tried to reinstall my internet + all motherboard drivers nothing changed.

Also I found that riot games have some services to tracking your internet connections between you, your ISP and riot servers, It needs to play some games from me, so I am going to play some games and then I will post results.

EDIT: here are the results from the game View: https://imgur.com/a/1MFGkYP

Last edited:
All the IP you blocked out are ip that the ISP that own them and they let you see them so they don't care who sees them.

Only the IP assigned to your router is sensitive but that is not in a tracert. Someone might guess the city you live is about the worst.

But that doesn't really matter it again shows no problems.

What you want to do is leave a constant ping run to the IP in HOP 10 in the trace it is the best you are going to do. The game company has a firewall preventing you from testing past that point.

I am not sure what you expect to accomplish at this point. You have pretty well proven that you have some issue going to the game company but it is not in your equipment or ISP network. The problem is far outside anything you have control over.

The only real solution is to get a different ISP that connects to the other ISP differently and hope there is not some common problem. Maybe a VPN service would have a different path. This is going to be pure luck though. A VPN should hurt your performance because of the added complexity and distance the traffic must go but maybe you get lucky and it has a better path to the game company ISP