Pacman makes it to the Guiness Book

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20050520p2a00m0dm014000c.html

Namco's popular "Pac Man" has been recognized as the world's No. 1
arcade game, paving the way for it to be included in the Guinness
Book of Records, it has been learned.

A total of 293,000 Pac Man arcade machines were sold across the world
in the eight years after the game was released in 1980. In the game,
a round-shaped character munches his way through dots inside a maze.
The Pac Man character was reportedly devised by Namco's Toru Iwatani
based on the shape of a pizza.

The game was later transferred to toys and game consoles, and even
sparked the song "Pac Man Fever" in the United States.

Namco officials said video arcade games were considered a big hit if
the number of arcade machines reached about 1,000. Another of the
company's hit games, "Taiko no Tatsujin" (drum master), appeared in
only about 4,000 arcade machines. Iwatani said he was glad about Pac
Man's achievements.

"I'm glad that it will remain in the Guinness Book," he said. "I'm
grateful to all the people across the world who played it." (Mainichi
Shimbun, Japan, May 20, 2005)

--
David

SINNER wrote on 23. May 2005:

> http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20050520p2a00m0dm014000c.html
>
> Namco's popular "Pac Man" has been recognized as the world's No. 1
> arcade game, paving the way for it to be included in the Guinness
> Book of Records, it has been learned.
>
> A total of 293,000 Pac Man arcade machines were sold across the world
> in the eight years after the game was released in 1980.

I always thought more machines of Space Invaders were built.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

I didn't know Pac Man drank Guiness.

man.de...

http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
http://xnews.newsguy.com/
http://counter.li.org/

"Keith in NJ" <winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message
> I didn't know Pac Man drank Guiness.

> "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message

> man.de...
> > SINNER wrote on 23. May 2005:
> > >
> > > http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20050520p2a00m0dm014000c.html
> > >
> > > Namco's popular "Pac Man" has been recognized as the world's No. 1
> > > arcade game, paving the way for it to be included in the Guinness
> > > Book of Records, it has been learned.
> > >
> > > A total of 293,000 Pac Man arcade machines were sold across the world
> > > in the eight years after the game was released in 1980.
> >
> > I always thought more machines of Space Invaders were built.
> > --
> > By(e) Andreas
> > U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>
> > Old school arcade classics at
> http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/
> > Linux without installation?
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
> > OE user? Ease the pain and try the better newsreader
> http://xnews.newsguy.com/
> > Registered as user #289125 with the Linux Counter
> http://counter.li.org/

No, the Guiness Book of World Records!

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> No, the Guiness Book of World Records!

Do they have a concept called Humor where you're from?

--
David

SINNER wrote:
> * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
>> No, the Guiness Book of World Records!
>
> Do they have a concept called Humor where you're from?

Yes. I said that just in case he didn't know...not everyone knows
everything.

I have a sense of humor, and can appreciate a good joke. But I did not
notice the pun in this at first until you pointed it out...hey, allergy
medicine can make you sleepy.

AnonyMouse wrote:
> SINNER wrote:
>> * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>>
>>> No, the Guiness Book of World Records!
>>
>> Do they have a concept called Humor where you're from?
>
> Yes. I said that just in case he didn't know...not everyone knows
> everything.
>
> I have a sense of humor, and can appreciate a good joke. But I did not
> notice the pun in this at first until you pointed it out...hey,
> allergy medicine can make you sleepy.

And so can staying up late at night writing Usenet posts.