Page fault, Grahics card dying?

Geordie0

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Playing World of Warcraft and getting a bluescreen with page_fault_in_nonpaged_area atikmdag.sys

Haven't changed or updated anything in the past week but i have uninstalled drivers, Went to safe mode and used DDU and installed latest AMD drivers and tried past drivers also.

Game also hard crashed once with flickering textures before it went back to looking "normal", I could open task manager but my mouse was stuck on the game window. Could only click on task bar managed to log out of windows and back in to get game to close.

Watching twitch/youtube i get small graphical glitches like flickering pink boxes in random places.

I have tried the 2nd solution here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1656824/atikmdag-sys-error-bsod-startup.html

Pretty convinced it is Graphics card but would like to know for sure. Thanks

System specs are:
Asus M5A97 R2.0
AMD FX-6300
PowerColor TurboDuo R9 270 2GB
Corsair CXM 500W Semi Modular 80+
Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 Mt/s - PC3-12800 CL11
Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA

Solution

I would check with PowerColor to see, the R9 270 is not an amazing card but it's a solid one, enough for many games at medium settings easily.

For about 180, if you want to stick with AMD, the RX470 is good, or nVidia 1060 is close to that, and the 1050 that was just released will be about 140 for the faster Ti version.

Geordie0

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Well tried CS:GO after about 10 minutes game crashed with looping sound, Could only use mouse on taskbar so was able to log out log back in. Checked event viewer and it was Display driver atikmdap stopped responding and has succesfully recovered.

This is when it crashes http://i.imgur.com/QIiyDVK.jpg

Was able to play WoW for a while yesterday display driver crashed once but had no further bluescreens.

Will run memtest86 today. Anything else i should run also?

Geordie0

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Not sure if i ran it correctly but memtest ran for 10 hours with 0 errors. Haven't bluescreened again just getting game crashes due to graphics driver crashing.
Can play WoW for a bit before it crashes, Seems to crash more in graphically intensive area's like raids etc. Tried running H1Z1 King of the Kill and driver crashed just after menu screen.

Since it's happening with several games, test the card in another system, test a known good card in yours, see what happens there. Try RAM one stick at a time, maybe power supply issue also, if anything is overclocked set to stock speeds.

Geordie0

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Haven't got another system to test it in unfortunately or another card to test. I'll try one RAM stick at a time. Everything is on stock speeds.

I was getting graphical glitches on boot logo and in bios when rebooting.

These are voltages - http://i.imgur.com/38tQyGc.jpg

Will buy a card when i get paid and test it then all i can do at the moment.

Tried turning it on today and monitor getting no signal. Going to buy new graphics card and psu.

Geordie0

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, Unfortunately warranty with retailer ran out earlier this year and heard less than steller things about powercolour warranty. I know £180 isn't a lot to go on but i was just wondering if i could get anything decent at that price. Only needs to be able to run games at an OK graphics quality, Not really fussed about having it on Ultra/High etc.

I assume 500-600W would be enough?

I would check with PowerColor to see, the R9 270 is not an amazing card but it's a solid one, enough for many games at medium settings easily.

For about 180, if you want to stick with AMD, the RX470 is good, or nVidia 1060 is close to that, and the 1050 that was just released will be about 140 for the faster Ti version.

Solution