Reputable
Apr 21, 2017
Specs first:

i7 9700K OC @ 5.1GHz
MSI MPG Z390 Pro Carbon
16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance 2400MHz
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo
240GB SSD (Boot) + 2TB HDD

A few days ago I overclocked my RAM for the first time, to 2666MHz at 1.3V nothing more. I only touched the speed and voltage, I didn't mess with the timings. When my games started to crash (assuming an unstable OC) I gave up with overclocking my RAM, reset the speed and voltage back to auto and left it. However, a few days later I'm having issues where my system just freezes and crashes to a BSOD with the message 'page_fault_in_nonpaged_area'. This happens randomly but frequently. What's more, any games I attempt to play crash when I load in to a 3D world/environment (menus are fine). Is there any fixes for this or is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Solution
Interesting. But if you didn't mess with anything internally, why was it working prior to you discovering the loose cable? I would go over every plug and even reseat your ram at this point and run a memtest to confirm it is working correctly.

MickeyTrickey

Reputable
Apr 21, 2017
It has to be related to the changes you made since you didn't change anything else like hardware...unless you did?
I made no other changes other than to the speed and voltage. I don't know if it's linked but my NZXT CAM software for my AIO has stopped reading CPU temp in the past few days. I re downloaded my graphics drivers from Nvidia's website as a friend told me sometimes memory issues can be linked with faulty graphics drivers, but that didn't help either.

I made no other changes other than to the speed and voltage. I don't know if it's linked but my NZXT CAM software for my AIO has stopped reading CPU temp in the past few days. I re downloaded my graphics drivers from Nvidia's website as a friend told me sometimes memory issues can be linked with faulty graphics drivers, but that didn't help either.
So strange. It should have just went back to normal.

Try removing the cmos battery or resetting the cmos and see if that changes anything.

MickeyTrickey

Reputable
Apr 21, 2017
You're welcome. If that doesn't work, the other thing that I was thinking might make a difference is to set up a permanent swap file of 16GB and see if that changes anything.
I appreciate your help very much. I fixed the issue of the BSOD, and it was linked to my CPU temp not reading after all. The cable on top of the CPU pump was slightly unplugged, somehow affecting everything else in my system. (My CPU wasn't throttling by the way, I set the fan speed to 100% to make sure it didn't overheat.) View: https://i.imgur.com/EBJmzwk.jpg

Two of my games are still crashing, I'm going to assume that's a problem with regards to the game's files and I'll post on the games specific forums.

Interesting. But if you didn't mess with anything internally, why was it working prior to you discovering the loose cable? I would go over every plug and even reseat your ram at this point and run a memtest to confirm it is working correctly.

Solution

MickeyTrickey

Reputable
Apr 21, 2017
Yeah I'm going to do that just to confirm this won't happen again. I also reinstalled windows to make sure everything is reset.

Reactions: SamirD