[SOLVED] Paging File cause stuttering ?

Jun 22, 2019
I have a Dell G7 7588 running Windows 10 Home updated to newest version with GTX 1060-Max Q i7 8750H and 8GB RAM
My laptop has a very unusual problem and i couldn't find a permanent solution for the past year.
It stutters like crazy on gaming, even on low end games like League of Legends, each 5 seconds it will freeze for at least 2 seconds. The only work around i got is to go to Virtual Memory, uncheck the Automatically manage paging file for all drives, then click on custom size, set it to whatever i want, restart the laptop ( for whatever amount of size i set, apps will crash or alerting im on low memory, maybe even get a bluescreen ) quickly change the Virtual Memory setting to auto managing, restart, and the stutter will disappear.

But here's the problem, after every restart/shutdown, the stutter starts to come in, getting worse and worse. Until i repeat the Virtual memory thing.

Note: I also set valuedata of ClearPageFileAtShutDown in Memory Management in Registry Editor to 1. It's just gonna make every shutdown takes minutes longer, doesn't help anything with the stutter

Solution
I suggest testing your system's memory and SSD/HDD for any issues since your problem and solution seems related to virtual memory. While it still could be other issues, this should be a good place to start.
Jun 22, 2019
Did you install all drivers from Dell or from nvidia? Dell´s drivers are recommended to use, but it could help to use nvidia´s driver
I did, newest drivers for everything from NVIDIA Experience, Dell Update, Intel Driver and Support

I suggest testing your system's memory and SSD/HDD for any issues since your problem and solution seems related to virtual memory. While it still could be other issues, this should be a good place to start.
And how can i do that ? With what programs ?

memtest.org usb autoinstaller
SSD/HDD with the manufacturer´s tool of the drives, e.g. western digital: wdlife, seagate: seatools, corsair toolbox...

use DDU uninstaller and reinstall the latest intel driver and nvidia driver from the support homepage of Dell. Do not use updaters like expirience or similar for this time

Reactions: dungto789

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I have a Dell G7 7588 running Windows 10 Home updated to newest version with GTX 1060-Max Q i7 8750H and 8GB RAM
My laptop has a very unusual problem and i couldn't find a permanent solution for the past year.
It stutters like crazy on gaming, even on low end games like League of Legends, each 5 seconds it will freeze for at least 2 seconds. The only work around i got is to go to Virtual Memory, uncheck the Automatically manage paging file for all drives, then click on custom size, set it to whatever i want, restart the laptop ( for whatever amount of size i set, apps will crash or alerting im on low memory, maybe even get a bluescreen ) quickly change the Virtual Memory setting to auto managing, restart, and the stutter will disappear.

Yeah, I increased my virtual memory in mines as well and it of course didn't solve the stuttering in my games either.

But here's the problem, after every restart/shutdown, the stutter starts to come in, getting worse and worse. Until i repeat the Virtual memory thing.

Note: I also set valuedata of ClearPageFileAtShutDown in Memory Management in Registry Editor to 1. It's just gonna make every shutdown takes minutes longer, doesn't help anything with the stutter

Well no, the actual problem is the fact that you have to do this on a daily basis just to enjoy a game, on a laptop that is sold as a gaming device which adds insult to injury. If I had to do this with a console I'd be ready to ship it back so they can fix it if not break the damn thing into pieces with a sledge hammer. Why is your PC using page file memory to start with? I think that's the first question that needs to be asked. Assuming your memory test comes back clean, the quickest solution might be simply buying another 8 gbs of ram, if not more. I'm certainly planning on it and I have 32 gigs. It won't be a problem since ram is cheap anyway. 8 gbs is really chicken feed for gaming considering your PC will automatically allocate half of it to either your GPU or background processes.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Doubt it for what exactly? Because of League of Legends? Some games won't eat up 8 gigs, but that depends on what games the O.P are playing. I would hate to see you try and play games like Squad or Digital Combat Simulator with 8 GB. These types of games will easily have 8 GB's for breakfast. I have 32 GBs, which means I have 16 of it for any game to work with, and yet Squad used up almost all of it, it was at 15 gigs at one point, almost swallowed it all whole. It really depends entirely on the game you are playing. League of Legends is about the farthest thing from being one of the more ram or CPU intensive games.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Because of the problems dungto789 have: stuttering and errrors in a game, which doesn´t need much RAM to work properly

Oh I see, didn't see that, so its probably not the memory then, with this game at least. Really, seems more like he is assuming the virtual memory is the problem. I would run a full diagnostic, could be anything. Or, he could just take it to a service department and be done with it, see what they say, especially considering he has to tweak the memory every freaking time he starts up his laptop. Nothing is worth this kind of hassle.

Question: When you are "shutting down" your laptop, is it a full shutdown, or is it a hibernate/suspend mode?

Another thing to check: How much free RAM exists before starting a game; Windows might just be eating enough up where the system is constantly paging to try and free up enough RAM for the game to run.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Ok, so since we're not allowed to give application sas solutions that are free to install and use for a period (as hypocritical as that is), you might as well just buy more ram. If you are getting error messages stating you are low on memory, then that should tell you all you need to know. Your PC running out of memory to allocate for your program will naturally cause issues. RAM is relatively cheap, so just do it and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator: