Question Painfully slow into BIOS

j_m_h_jm

Honorable
Oct 29, 2017
Hello! I recently upgraded my PC and realized everything had been replaced except the drives. So I moved everything to my old case this PC started in. Maybe 1-2 weeks of sitting on a shelf, I’m trying to install/restore my old Windows 10 install on it (I have my old SSD from the original build with Windows 10 on it, but no luck). The more pressing issue though is it will take 30-45 seconds to go from the initial power on screen to even prompting me to press F2/Del for BIOS. From there, another 2-3 minutes. Within BIOS it is snappy. I made a Windows 10 USB install key. To get that to start might be 10-15 minutes from the time I turn in the computer. Oh by the way, my old SSD is recognized under Boot Priority, but not until Storage Configuration. This feels relevant because when I have gotten far enough I could install Windows 10, it doesn’t see any drives. I have tried a different SATA cable, different SATA power connector and even a much older 250 gig hard drive that hasn’t been used in ages. Please help! I want to use this for couch coop and emulation on the main TV in my mItX case!

i5-6500
ASrock H110mitx-ac (BIOS version P1.20).
8 gigs of RAM (2x4 gigs)
GTX 1060 6 gig
Seasonic S12II 350 Watt PSU

Like I said, as of like two weekends ago, this was my set up, just in a different case and different drives. I removed the GPU for about a week and stuck it in my new system while waiting for my new GPU. So a month ago, the only difference was a different case and the current SSD was sitting in a drawer.

Lutfij

Titan
GTX 1060 6 gig

You have the wrong PSU for your task.

Take the discrete GPU out of your system and see if the issue persists with the iGPU.

You have BIOS updates pending, mind you.

j_m_h_jm

Honorable
Oct 29, 2017
GTX 1060 6 gig

You have the wrong PSU for your task.

Take the discrete GPU out of your system and see if the issue persists with the iGPU.

You have BIOS updates pending, mind you.
Like I said, I have used that PSU with that GPU since 2016. Never had slowness or anything. BIOS never had issues. I am used to seeing my desktop maybe 15 seconds from power on at most. I am trying to do the BIOS updates and isn’t recognizing my USB. I’ll try a different one I suppose.

j_m_h_jm

Honorable
Oct 29, 2017
We're not in 2016 anymore...a PSU will not output the same power as it did when brand new due to internal wear and tear. You're also underpowered for your build.
It worked two weeks ago with almost the same set up. The same power supply with the same GPU PLAYING GAMES! For 7 years, I had more than enough power. There was even a brief time about 8 day ago when I used this PSU with this GPU and my new Ryzen 5 7600 to play games before my new PSU and GPU arrived.

Soooooo…pretty sure my PSU is outputting enough power. Additionally, a GPU and CPU aren’t pulling much power to boot into BIOS so I don’t think my PSU went from powering MORE demanding power needs to less in the span of a few days. If it was on a shelf for years, maybe. Only part in the set up that HAS been on a shelf is the SSD - that was back when a 120 gig SSD was ~$100 so it is pretty old. Still doesn’t make sense that it takes so long to boot into BIOS, which would happen without a SSD even connected. Previously, that PSU was powering a 1 TB SSD, HDD, and 3 TB HDD (along with the 1060 and Ryzen 5 7600/i5 6500).

If we want to look at power, would the motherboard turn on (plus all fans - case, CPU, GPU) if I was missing a motherboard connector some how? Admittedly, I had missed one connector on my new build, but nothing turn on except like one LED light and a single fan - didn’t get any display. That was an easy catch after a minute of thinking.

DSzymborski

Titan
It worked two weeks ago with almost the same set up. The same power supply with the same GPU PLAYING GAMES! For 7 years, I had more than enough power. There was even a brief time about 8 day ago when I used this PSU with this GPU and my new Ryzen 5 7600 to play games before my new PSU and GPU arrived.

Soooooo…pretty sure my PSU is outputting enough power. Additionally, a GPU and CPU aren’t pulling much power to boot into BIOS so I don’t think my PSU went from powering MORE demanding power needs to less in the span of a few days. If it was on a shelf for years, maybe. Only part in the set up that HAS been on a shelf is the SSD - that was back when a 120 gig SSD was ~$100 so it is pretty old. Still doesn’t make sense that it takes so long to boot into BIOS, which would happen without a SSD even connected. Previously, that PSU was powering a 1 TB SSD, HDD, and 3 TB HDD (along with the 1060 and Ryzen 5 7600/i5 6500).

If we want to look at power, would the motherboard turn on (plus all fans - case, CPU, GPU) if I was missing a motherboard connector some how? Admittedly, I had missed one connector on my new build, but nothing turn on except like one LED light and a single fan - didn’t get any display. That was an easy catch after a minute of thinking.

Everything that is not working was working before it was not working.

Reactions: helper800
D

Deleted member 2947362

ahh the SSD could be the issue try disconnecting the SSD and see if it boots to Bios quicker?
scrub that bit👆

So I take it you have try bare board boot with every thing disconnected only GPU and monitor also with no keyboard and mouse plugged in

also inspect the motherboard for bulging caps that can cause the type of issues your experiencing

To be fair 7 year's use the PSU is rock'n on a bit

But there has been tests done on old quality PSU's and they where still performing more or less as good as the day they where made with minimal loss in total output which was a surprised for many I bet.

Still, I wouldn't want to trust one on new hardware though because you know one day it will fail and it must be closer to that day now than when it was new lol

Last edited by a moderator:

j_m_h_jm

Honorable
Oct 29, 2017
ahh the SSD could be the issue try disconnecting the SSD and see if it boots to Bios quicker?
scrub that bit👆

So I take it you have try bare board boot with every thing disconnected only GPU and monitor also with no keyboard and mouse plugged in

also inspect the motherboard for bulging caps that can cause the type of issues your experiencing

To be fair 7 year's use the PSU is rock'n on a bit

But there has been tests done on old quality PSU's and they where still performing more or less as good as the day they where made with minimal loss in total output which was a surprised for many I bet.

Still, I wouldn't want to trust one on new hardware though because you know one day it will fail and it must be closer to that day now than when it was new lol
So I reset BIOS settings and then tweaked them a hair (some weird RAM settings). Booted to BIOS waaaay faster. Still won’t see the SSD. Swapped it for a 250 gig HDD and Windows is now installed. For my next trick, getting a new, cheap SSD and using the 250 gig for random stuff.

Ultimate verdict - SSD is dead. For what it’s worth, I hadn’t used it in a while and it might gotten magnetized or something. Just left I in a desk drawer that had who knows what in it. Never had that happen before so I learned something new. Also learned I still have an 80 gig IDE drive in the same desk.

I realize 7 years is older. To be honest though, I built that system when my oldest was like 1 or so. I don’t think it is well worn. Plenty of that time, I was happy with 1-2 hours of gaming time in a night. Plenty of periods where it just wasn’t turned on for several days. As my kids are more independent, I can sneak in more game time, but still a far cry from when I did kill a PSU in college…knew it immediately and drove straight to Best Buy to get one and keep gaming!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ultimate verdict - SSD is dead. For what it’s worth, I hadn’t used it in a while and it might gotten magnetized or something. Just left I in a desk drawer that had who knows what in it. Never had that happen before so I learned something new. Also learned I still have an 80 gig IDE drive in the same desk.

Magnets do not affect SSDs, HDDs they can, but not SSDs. That said, they still do fail occasionally.

Reactions: helper800