Pair i5 6500 or i7 6700 with H110M Motherboard a bad idea?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016
First of all. I'm not asking advise to build a gaming desktop as I already have the desktop. The thing is I need to know if I really need to replace the motherboard I currently have.

I5 6500
Corsair Value Select 8 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz
1 TB WD blue 64 MB
Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250 GB
I have MSI H110M Grenade

Someone told me that H110 motherboard has terrible chipsets regardless of the brands. It is also have lower quality MOSFET or Mosfet don't have heatsinks and capacitor and it is not suitable for 3D gaming or heavy workload. Hr said that it could fry my motherboard or just shorten the lifespan of the components. So far, the only thing I know about cheaper motherboard is that cheaper one has less features, less expansion, less I/O port etc. No one said that the cheaper one has terrible mosfet or heats up easily (reach 100 celcius).

He said that H110 is only suitable to pair with i3 or pentium.

The thing is I play GTA V for hours every day and if I'm not mistaken GTAV is 3D games. I also consider about running Virtual Machine or Crypto currency (turns out I don't do Bitcoin mining)

However, in the next 2 years I might pass my whole PC to someone who might do a heavy lifting (AutoCAD, video editing etc).
Do I really need to change the motherboard? If yes, what is your recommendation?

Solution
I didn't say the CPU won't reach 65c , that said did you mention a themis evo ?? If so then you'll barely ever hit mid 50s on CPU temps.

I don't believe for one minute the vrm temps have ever got close to 100c on that board with a 6500 - never ever.

70-75 maybe but that's well within specs

You mentioned only 1 case fan ??

You want another mate , minimum for any gaming build is 1 front intake , 1 rear exhaust.

Worry more about getting decent general case airflow than about your board.

As you said , heat is a killer , keep the case nicely aerated & you'll be all good.

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016
The reason I sold my i7 HQ laptop because I worry it will overheat. I tried not to make the same mistake on desktop. I don't know how good the air flow on my case is. But I think it is the average

I wish that I had chosen i3 6100 instead of i5 at that time where kaby lake isn't released and worry free.

The i3 only uses 8w less than the i5 , runs just as hot & because its only a dual core will hit 100% usage much more often.

You are worrying too much , your board is fine with that i5!!!! ;-)

Re case /fans

What case is it ??
What fan do you currently have fitted & where ??
Is it connected to the motherboard headers or straight to PSU molex ??

What country are you ? Where can you buy from (website etc??)

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016

I'd only shop from enterkomputer.com and no other shop because some other shop has higher markup. I built the desktop there. I was thinking about spending Rp 100 000 for each fan and I will buy 3 fan case
My case is some generic branded because when I want to order the one you recommend, it was out of stock and they gave me mid tower case
It is chinese

Segotep gaming case warships evo. Currently I have one fan case in the rear. It is ForGame Warcraft Fan 12 cm. If that fan is okay, I will just buy 2 identical more.

I haven't been able to sleep well since then.I remember when I freak out that SSD have limited number of write cycle. Then a month later, I realized that I do not. Actually have to be that concern. Otherwise I'd have bought samsung 850 Pro instead of EVO.

Yeah, I become agitated since he told me about the drawbacks of H110. He explained about some technical jargon like MOSFET, power phase, inductor, capacitor etc. He explained the difference brands of mosfet etc. He said that power phase 4+2 will be just "not bad" and the one with 6 power phase would be good and 8 is even better. Some of those terms are a bit too technical for average people that is not in Computer engineering field. I'm in major of Information system and not in Computer engineering at all.
The more things I know, the more I worry about. That's why in certain cases I'd be better to know nothing so I don't have to worry about anything. Just like when average people buy car, they just buy it and drive and not give a shit about anything. Things don't apply to enthusiast. Me somehow in the middle. 80% average user but 20 % enthusiast. I do not OC or have high end gaming rigs, but I love to follow the trend if they release new CPU or GPU or any other part of the PC. Which is why I visit this forum often. In the end he concluded that ASUS has the best power phase for the money, he told me that I can't go wrong if I choose B250F.
It seems that 4 phase is enough for me.

I really have to visit my psychiatrist after this is done. I just can't get over it after I bought that i7 laptop. I worried that laptop will overheat I actually hardly ever game on that thing. Only once and less than an hour on that thing. Damn

Dude - I have a Samsung 750 pro 240gb

It has 27tb of data writes at the minute.
That's in 3 years - that's about 5 times more than most people would have because its in a htpc with a digital tuner & is used for TV programme recording day in / day out.
Samsung magician software rates it as still 'excellent' condition wise & estimates a minimum of another 9 years lifespan ;-)

You need to sit down , relax, chill out & stop worrying ;-)

Your case ? It honestly looks ok to me.
You sure it doesn't have a front fan ?
I looked at a YouTube review & it came with a rear exhaust fan & a single from intake fan ??

If you do only have a single exhaust then I would consider that enough for exhaust use.

What I would do is buy 2 x 120mm fans & fit them both in the front as intakes.

Fresh air in brings better case temps more than anything else.

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016

No, it doesn't have front fan. It doesn't even have fans preinstalled in it. Are you sure that I'd have to put two fans on front instead of one. I got the idea of 1 in the front 1 rear 1 up from Linus tech tips. Because when you have 4 or more you would start to see a diminishing returns as the temps doesn't go down/ lower anymore. The graph in the video showed that.

About the SSD, I know that the actual SSD actually much longer than the advertised write cycle and better yet, I doubt that I will ever reach that write cycle and I might have changed the storage before it dies. People even said that it last about the same as hard drive or maybe even longer if you don't perform a lot of read write.

The case is so generic, to be honest so far, I haven't experienced any overheating, it might get warm a little bit. But not that overheat. I don't know if intel XTU is accurate. When I play GTA V for an hour. It shows that it is about 60c to 70c if im not mistaken with aftermarket HSF.

This your case ??
SEGOTEP_GAMING_CASE_WARSHIP_EVO___BLACK___With_Fan_Controlle.jpg

Barring the colour because it comes in 3 or 4 different colours.

If so , & your running a themiss tower cooler ??

Absolutely 100% 2x front intakes + 1 x rear exhaust is what I'd do personally.

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016

Yes that is exactly my case, and that is my color too. Okay so just two in front and one rear. No need to put it on the upper side? Do I really need to change my current case fan? It was not that expensive Forgame Warcraft 12 cm fan Red

Anyway, colors don't really bother me so it doesn't really matter if the fan doesn't match the mobo or case.

How about be quiet pure wing 2? It seems within my budget in Enterkomputer.com

120mm fans right.

Anyway, just out of curiosity
In worst case, if your mobo die in 2 years or 4 years, do you just change the mobo or just change the whole pc including the processor if there is new socket comes out?

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016

And yes, I use Raijintek Themis EVO dual fan. Because When I want to use deepcool Gammaxx 400 or 300, it was not available (out of stock). When I want to use Cryorig H7 or CM 212 EVO or X turbo. It were not available as well, so I'm stuck with those cooler. When I checked the review, I know it is not the best, or even the best value. But it doesn't seem that bad that it will hinder the performance. At least it is still far better than intel stock cooler right?

12m fans yes - if your happy with that fans noise level then keep it & bug 2 more the same - those fans come with both 3 pin connectors & molex so you have 2 different ways to power them.

Your case appears to have a built in twin fan controller on top ?? No idea of link options or how to connect fans to it though .
Have you looked at that yourself ??

Re motherboard replacement - b boards are warrantied for 2 years far as I know , whether you'd replace the board or the whole system after that time period would depend on budget & what's available at what price really .

It'll last longer than 2 years though , stop worrying ;-)

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016
About the case, I don't know where to look fan controller. As far as I know, it doesn't have a fan in front. I don't know where to look. To be honest I don't actually build my PC. I just picked the part and someone (the technician in that shop) installed it for me and I just watch it.

So any 120mm fan case is okay then. Doesn't have to be that be quiet pure wings 2.

To be honest, I only know that molex is the part of the motherboard, but I don't know actually what molex does. I will post another thread about power supply.

So far the noise is not that loud from the fan case. A bit of noise is okay as it doesn't sound like a jet engine. A breeze noise is okay as far the in game sound is still louder than the fan noise.

Matey - the themis evo is better than both the gammaxx coolers , better than the 212's, probably better than the h7 aswell.
I'm a massive raijintek fan myself.
Its crazy overkill for a locked i5 anyway.
Once ypubget some fresh air in with a couple of intakes I reckon you'll drop close to 10c off CPU temps.

Fan controller - from what I see its under that top panel (open on the photo below)

9650943_edae9b27-a666-4f6a-85cb-8442e611dac0.png

Should be 2 slider switches on the right hand side.

& no , molex cables are what come straight from the PSU itself

LP4SATAFM12.B.jpg

If you plug a fan into one of those it will fun 12v full speed all the time.

Some fans come with those , some come with smaller 4 pin motherboard connectors which means fans speed can be controlled.

94c41971_4pin_connector_002.jpeg

Some fans come with both connectors so you can choose which to use (I believe the segotep fan you currently have has both)
When you get one with both connectors never ever plug both of them in. Just use one or the other.

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016

Okay, I'm a bit confused, I don't understand why shouldn't I ever pluh both of them in? So you say that I should plug one in molex and one in the 4 pin but never plug both of the fans on the same molex?

I'm a bit a newbie here.lol I just want to make it clear so I can tell the guy to fit in the right spot.

Okay
Any 12cm fan then.

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016
Thanks anyway, the reason I want to have it cool is for durability and I don't really expect to have a massive high clock speed like 5 Ghz or I'd have bought K processor and high quality Z motherboard.

My expectations is just to be able to run at that factory clock speed and turbo boost without problem (meaning that it will be cool enough that it doesn't need to throttle) I just want to be able to run 3.5 Ghz (max turbo boost for one core right?) for a long time without a problem when it is needed. I looked at task manager that it will only reach 3.5 Ghz when it is needed, otherwise it is at 3.2 Ghz.

I have done my research for 9 months and I hope that I don't messed up pretty bad. It has been 9 months since the day that desktop was bought.

No , what im saying is if you have a fan that has 2 cables , one of them molex & the other a small 4 pin mb connector .
Like both of the pictures above ^
& I believe your current fan has both cables coming off it.

Then never plug both the connectors from that 1 fan into both the motherboard & the PSU connectors at the same time.
Use either one connector or the other only.

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016

Okay, so after this is done, I can safely rest assured and the CPU and GPU can work at full speed ( CPU on turbo boost) etc.

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016

I wish that I could attach the picture I taken with my smartphones. But it seems that this forum will only allow me to give you the URL only, I think it is going to be difficult for me and I might have to postpone the installation because I am bit confused.

If Im not mistaken, there is like a hard drive expansion or something that I need to remove. I don't know if it is actually blocking the way to install 2 intakes fans.

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016
In The meantime, I might just have to get by with 1 rear exhaust fan before I can take it to the shop. In your previous post on this thread, you said that one rear exhaust is actually enough, but for better temperature, it would be better to add two front intakes and no need to add fans at the top.

I will try to upload the photo, I hope the image will be clear enough.