[SOLVED] Pairing GTX 1080 with 60Hz 1080p monitor ?

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Hi guys, as the title said: will it be bad pairing GTX 1080 with 60hz 1080p monitor?

Well, my intention from that is to get a GPU that lasts much longer years, 1080p is fine for me during the next period, I can't afford a higher refresh rate monitor because of the pretty expensive prices here in my country + I already bought the monitor since like 2 months, but still didn't get GPU yet.

My knowledge about that is very little, so i need to ask, i heard some news about input lag, tearing, stutters, screen freezes...etc may be occurred, but i'm not sure, so i hope for some help please clarifying this because i don't wanna face like these troubles anymore.

Also maybe i can buy RTX 2070 instead of 1080 if it becomes available at stocks here in my country, so same question applied at this case too.

HINT: Monitor Model: Samsung S24D330H

Solution
I'm not sure it will be any different than other 1080p monitors. Your input lag is still 16.6ms per frame for all 60hz monitors. Things like tearing, stutters, screen freezes is subjective for the most part. Well maybe not screen freezing. That isn't anything to do with the monitor, but when the frame rate hits zero caused by the video card or the CPU not being able to handle the on screen load.

A GTX 1080 is more than enough for ANY game @ 1080P Ultra settings. Heck most games at 1440P will run above 60fps. So really its the rest of your computer that needs to be able to handle this.

iamacow

Admirable
I'm not sure it will be any different than other 1080p monitors. Your input lag is still 16.6ms per frame for all 60hz monitors. Things like tearing, stutters, screen freezes is subjective for the most part. Well maybe not screen freezing. That isn't anything to do with the monitor, but when the frame rate hits zero caused by the video card or the CPU not being able to handle the on screen load.

A GTX 1080 is more than enough for ANY game @ 1080P Ultra settings. Heck most games at 1440P will run above 60fps. So really its the rest of your computer that needs to be able to handle this.

Solution

cpmackenzi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
A 1080 is mostly overkill for a 1080p 60Hz monitor. I realize future games may be a bit more demanding, but at that resolution there's more burden on your CPU. You could probably drop down a notch on the GPU, unless you truly intend to upgrade to a higher resolution monitor.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

I'm not sure if i got what you mean, but do you want to say its fine, but it depends on my computer specs?

Well, if you're talking about my CPU, its core i5 8400 with B360 AORUS Gaming 3 motherboard.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

My CPU is core i5 8400, and i'm not planning to upgrade to a higher resolution monitor, I clarified this point in my topic: my intention is to get a GPU to last much longer years.

cpmackenzi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
Yes, a 1080 is basically "too much" for a 1080p monitor. New games won't become so taxing that you'll really need to rely on the 1080 to run anything. You could save some money by going for a 1070, or a 1070 Ti at most.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Well, to be more honest, i was asking about the pairing if it will be harmful NOT the price.

And to be honest again: performance difference between 1070 ti and 1080 is well-known that its not that big.

And to be more honest, by taking price into consideration, almost no difference between 1070 and 1070 ti, for 1080 it's just 40$ more, that will not harm my wallet, its totally fine.

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
no the pairing will not be an issue. use fast sync or vsync if you must. i recommend using Rivatuna statistics server to cap your framerate instead(vsync and fastsync add input lag) your card will more or less sit idle (i think? can someone else confirm?)but that is no issue.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

That's a good point in discussion that i wanted to ask about, but didn't know how to explain.

So you want to say that its no problem from pairing but the problem with wasting power consumption and load for nothing, so its better to use fast sync, v-sync or whatever these stuff to cap fps to monitor refresh rate 60hz, so that i can get the optimal performance without extra load, extra wasted power consumption, and that should also reduce noise and temperature, am i right now ??

iamacow

Admirable

No harm to your system if you play at 1920x1080. Heck I used a 2x GTX 1080 Ti on 1080 for the last 2 years. Now I have a RTX 2080. That GTX 1080 will be good for many more years. The rest of your computer is just fine. You got my point, something like a i3 wouldn't be good enough to handle playing games on ultra settings even if your video card can handle it. Games use the CPU also for AI and other things. It isn't just the video card that is needed to have a good frame per second.

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018

that should be how it works again look around. but at 1080p 60hz a gtx 1080 is at like 25% load :)

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Depends on the game and many settings. You can use DSR to render the frames at a higher resolution.

Also a 1080 will be relevant with future games for longer, and gives you the flex ability to upgrade to a higher resolution monitor.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Depends on the game and many settings. You can use DSR to render the frames at a higher resolution.

Also a 1080 will be relevant with future games for longer, and gives you the flex ability to upgrade to a higher resolution monitor.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Yeah it depends on the game, some poorly optimized games can't hit 60 fps on ultra settings with GTX 1060, so i think 1080 here will use more load with those ones at ultra settings, and even less load with very-well optimized games or some old titles.

Anyways all i just hope for no harm to my system, or no effect at gaming performance like stutters, input lag, tearing or whatever these stuff, so guys if there is any help about how to face these troubles if occurred to enjoy stable gaming, then i will be more appreciated.

iamacow

Admirable
You should read up on frame shuddering, input lag, screen tearing to understand what it means. I feel like you are missing that bit of information. Stuff like input lag is from your monitor hardware. Shuddering and screen tearing is not the same but has to deal with how your video card sends the frames to the monitor.

For shuddering: More or less if the monitor is 60hz, than ever 16.6ms it displays a frame (image) that came from the video card. If no new frame is present during the next screen rendering (not video but monitor) than it will show the same frame again until the next frame is present.

Tearing: This can be caused by frame shuddering but also too many frames. Tearing deals with "Stitching" together the last frame with the new frame. If it was perfect than you would never see it. But say the video cards sends 2 frames within 16.6 ms, than the monitor will take the last frame render and skip the previous. So say it should go 1-2-3-4. It will go 1-3 causing a screen tear since the images really don't line up. The "Solution" is to use in-game V-SYNC in which the monitor will only produce as many frames the refresh rate. It will always go 1-2-3-4-5..etc, but the downside of this is higher input lag. Games will "feel" sluggish because the frame is already rendered for that 16.6ms and whatever you do in-game doesn't show up until the next frame is rendered.

I personally hate it, because I feel like i'm "missing" frames. And its true, the video card will only render 1 frame every 16.6ms (60hz), but a lot can happen within that time-frame. I much rather get the very last frame rendered within that 16.6ms time period and maybe even skip frames and get screen tearing. I don't miss anything and the "input lag" isn't actually lower, but gives that feeling of high responsiveness.

Than you have Free-Sync and G-Sync which takes V-Sync but doesn't make it a set frame rate. It will swing from 30hz all the way to 240hz. Than you get every frame the video card puts out without compromise. Free-Sync is AMD only, G-Sync is NVIDIA only and has to be built into the monitor.

Once again there is no way to damage a video card using the "Wrong" monitor. That is not a thing.