Palit Mashes 2 GB GDDR3 onto GTS 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
More memory is always good in a PC chassis. I wish they would do this with the GTX 285. Or maybe if they did do this with the GTX 285 I will regret having already purchased mine.... such a dilema!!!

G

So some no-name company puts 2 gigabytes of cheapo memory on a mid-range card from last year? And this is front page news? Really now.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Dynamite card for being midrange.. I read reviews again and see clearly why I bought a 9800 GTX+. I figure I'd only be more impressed by going to 285 or beyond on nvidia. Pretty bargain priced for the speed too, I paid $135 after rebate.

Zenthar

Distinguished
2GB on a single GPU card is ridiculous. Right now you have to use very high resolutions like 1920x1200 and add AA+AF to reach 1GB and guess what the performance will be on a 9800GTX+ when you reach that.

vgdarkstar

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Palit isn't a no-name company, they've been around for quite a while and always offered cards with great features. Also, 2GB on this beast would be great on a multimonitor setup for SupCom, or even a dual, or triplehead2go. It'd really shine when it was pushing 4-5 Megapixels.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
So this marks the second article this week to state "and is the first card to utilize 2 GB of GDDR3 onboard memory.", and both about two different cards? lol. What a joke.

And iDog, palit isnt a no-name brand. But when your best-buy shopping spree only shows you XFX and BFG, I could understand why you think so. Do your homework.

G

The point is; there are companies that get the top silicon from the OEMs, like BFG, XFX, eVGA, HiS, Sapphire and Gainward, and then there are others. So about the "no-name" part; my apologies if the sarcasm was too subtle for you. I own a 9800 GTX+ and I love it for the performance/$ (especially after moving up from a 6800 Ultra :D), but I'm well aware of it's capabilities and putting even 1GB on it would be a bit of a waste (as proven by benches available here at Tom's of the 1GB BFG 250 OC). I personally simply see it as a "relatively" small-time company trying to make it's mark with silly gimmicks (which some poor SOB is going to end up paying for). So yeah sure, companies pull guff like this all the time, but the point is; they shouldn't. Yet getting front page space on a well-trusted site like Tom's only gives such practices undeserved legitimacy, which was the original point of protest.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
(hmm my post got cut off).. then we could make assumptions of whether or not 2gb is ideal in this card. As for it having cheap RAM, where's the evidence of that. I don't remember reading in this article about what brand of ram is even onboard.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]daeds-idogB[/nom]The point is; there are companies that get the top silicon from the OEMs, like BFG, XFX, eVGA, HiS, Sapphire and Gainward, and then there are others. citation]
Sources? Personally, I find BFG and XFX to be of dubious quality compared to other Nvidia manufacturers, and have never tried their ATI products because of it. eVGA deffinately has top quality, but I'm more inclined to believe it's because of their craftsmanship. HIS has some of the best custom cooling out of the manufacturers, which directly relates to their quality and overclocking potential, and any of their cards that dont have their custom cooling are mediocre at best.
Sapphire is the only one that makes sense, since they also manufacture the ATI branded cards (only in japan now apparently), which could lead to them getting first pick at the bins. And gainward? Really?

G

So errr... what is your counter-argument; that the names that I spoke of aren't really all THAT good yet "Palit" in fact is?

Nah, I wouldn't think you'd want to make such a sweeping statement, so what I think you're suggesting is that just because Palit is less known doesn't mean they can't be just as good. Well yes they CAN be that good, I mean there aren't any laws of physics to prevent that. Again you seem to be taking the whole "Palit" thing on a far more personal level for some reason while still missing my point entirely. Now let's see if it was XFX who came up with a rehashed 9800 GTX+ with 2GB VRAM needlessly latched on at the expense of the end-user. Now even though my current card is XFX I wouldn't say HEYYY GREAT JOB GUYS, THANKS FOR TRYING TO SCREW US CUSTOMERS, THAT'S WHY WE LOVE YOU, or some other such asinine thing. Nope, I'd say something like "so a self-proclaimed top brand thinks they can put 2 gigabytes of cheapo memory on a mid-range card from last year, slap their sticker on there and we'd all blindly buy it? I don't think so..." or something like that, it's called sarcasm. I think you know how it works but I have a feeling you're one of those gents who just have to have the last word in every argument, so do go ahead, have your last word, or two, I stopped caring two sentences ago.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]daeds-idogB[/nom]The point is; there are companies that get the top silicon from the OEMs, like BFG, XFX, eVGA, HiS, Sapphire and Gainward, and then there are others. So about the "no-name" part; my apologies if the sarcasm was too subtle for you. I own a 9800 GTX+ and I love it for the performance/$ (especially after moving up from a 6800 Ultra ), but I'm well aware of it's capabilities and putting even 1GB on it would be a bit of a waste (as proven by benches available here at Tom's of the 1GB BFG 250 OC). I personally simply see it as a "relatively" small-time company trying to make it's mark with silly gimmicks (which some poor SOB is going to end up paying for). So yeah sure, companies pull guff like this all the time, but the point is; they shouldn't. Yet getting front page space on a well-trusted site like Tom's only gives such practices undeserved legitimacy, which was the original point of protest.[/citation]

So I take you do not realize Gainward and Palit ARE THE SAME COMPANY??

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
this is no less usefull than a 128MB radeon 8500 was when it came out
I remember the debates then about whether we would ever use 128MB....
still it was able to boost performance 5% or more. I see things like this as "icing on the cake"

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Estimated price $150-$199 I don't really see that is hurting the consumer with gimmicks, it is still within the 1GB model's price range. Oh it's a gainward card? I heard of them, don't they make pretty decent cards? I almost bought a gainward 6600gt a few years ago, ended up with an MSI.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
So this is now like a 9800 gtx+ with 2gb of memory. but I still want to see benchmarks against 4870 512mb card. Is the memory enough to make it better in every way?

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I googled for benchmarks, they are out there. It looks like it performs about the same as a 1GB card to me, but I only saw comparisons between the 2GB and the 512mb models. I get -1 for pointing out that the maximum street price is $199? come on.. it isn't expensive. Only reason I wouldn't buy it is because the 512 is sufficient and I haven't seen very hard evidence that I'd benefit much at all from having more than 512 in this card.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]jhfjhfytrio[/nom]@ "A Stoner":Sorry but a 2GB 285 is already out.[/citation]
Oh :) see, i did not see it here on Tom's. now I am envious of those with 2GB boards...

G

Most of my games aren't even 1GB in size. I wouldn't know which game I own that would run better on a 2GB card, then on a 1GB card.
What makes most games large is introduction movies, and interludes.
Also music. But those things don't need to be stored in the card, since if they are read directly from the HD they would still have enough bandwidth to be played back stutter free.

So the rest of most games would totally fit in 1GB, most in 500Mb even!
I would not buy the card, because unless I'm planning on paying a game like Crysis, I will probably not need that large amount of VRAM.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Somehow I can't help but to wonder if ordering those 36 msi 9600gt cards in december was a waste .... they're being used for inventor ... I'm quite sure a bunch of these with 4 times the memory would've been a better buy, and still cheaper than any decent 'real quadro' card

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I think you guys should clarify the meaning of your statements about why the "gimmick" isn't good. I'm assuming that you mean it is tricking the customer into buying this 2gb card, when a higher-end 2gb card would outperform it and that this 2gb card probably performs the same as 1gb one but there are no benchmarks at all on the internet to prove that 100% 2gb is not good. That's why I'm saying a direct comparison between gtx 512, 1024, and 250 2048 models should be done to show whether or not there is any benefit. All we can do is assume that there is little or no benefit from the benchmarks that are out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.