Palit New Warranty Policy (Currently for USA/Canada only)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
:hello:

I understand that alot of consumers are not satisfy with our 1 year parts and labor warranty. Palit has recently decided to bump it to 2 years warranty which only applies for the US/Canada Market only.

Any other region will still be 1 year warranty.

We will change our policy and transit within 1-2 weeks from today.
Although this is not what alot of you want (lifetime warranty) but we have went out of our way to increase it without having a global changes in our policy.
But (lifetime warranty) is not out of the question and will still be continued to be pushed for.

Thank you.

ubernoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Ok i'ma reapply since I don't want to feel like I wasted 5 bucks to beat stock thermal paste by 1C :D. For those people that think 2 years warranty is still small compared to evga, evga is a much smaller company world wide. Anyways, if you guys produce your own video cards, I have another reason to like palit since they do not buy from foxconn and we all know how bad foxconn's factories are like

h0llywood1

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

how can i change thermal paste without remove the warranty label?
so can i also use an aftermarket heatsink?

i just bought a gtx460 sonic and i found out that the heat-sink for the standard version is inferior to the platinum edition and has no heat-pipes.

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
This is review of GTX460 without "heat-sink".
All our GTX460 does not have heatsink. Only engineer sample has them and it was sent to UK review which is unrelated if you buy from the US market.

"Editor's Choice"

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/palit_gtx460_sonic_platinum/

h0llywood1

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

ok i understood that but how can i change thermal paste without remove the warranty label?

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Try to peel if off gently. The only reason why we have that seal is for customer who tampered with the GPU. Just breaking the seal will only delay RMA process because we will check to make sure the GPU is not damaged. But if you must add your own cooling or paste then just make sure you do not Physically damage anything then it should be okay. :)

Thanks.

No offense, but is the customer rep who hollywood1 may have to deal with, going to take the same stance if the card needs to be returned?

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

People will remove and add their thermal paste or custom cooler regardless if I tell them not to. I was simply stating that if you going to do it, make sure you are careful and do not cause Physical damage as it will void your warranty.

Palit product is base on extreme overclocking and custom build cooler as default. You will hardly see a Palit standard PCB design nowadays. We encourage you to tweak the card but at your own risk and know the "standard warranty policy" which apply to all video card manufacturer.

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

Yes definitely. But I'm sure all manufacturer has that standard "No Physically Damage policy".

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
The GTX 460 Sonic platinum has a heatsink while the GTX 460 Sonic don't. That is why there is a price difference.

If you pay to add custom solution it will probably cost you more. :)

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

Really? Just... Really???

If it doesn't have a heatsink, how the heck does it stay cool? Is the fan on it just blowing air over an exposed GPU and RAM modules? As if that would work...

The pictures on the Palit website are almost identical, and both have heatsinks. (The only noticeable difference is the Platinum has a heatpipe-based heatsink, whereas the Sonic has no such heatpipe, and instead uses a finned and perhaps anodized aluminum or copper heatsink.)

The only other difference I can find is the obviously more aggressive factory overclock of the Platinum.

Take a look for yourself.

Sonic
p01340_bigimage_6764c3a7a2196331.jpg

Sonic Platinum
p01341_bigimage_12884c3a7a3d7740b.jpg

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

I was referring to the Heatpipe. Sorry.

nutral

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
The european law states that a minimum of 2 years of guarantee should be granted on internal computer hardware. So you would have to give eu citizens 2 years of guarantee. (wich gives dell and apple no rights to only offer 1 year of guarantee.)

In the netherlands you even need to have guarantee in a normal lifetime of a product altough that should be settled with the seller.

nitroxideog

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
would it be worth purchasing the VRM heatsinks for the Sonic Platinum since you don't include them with the retail version? and would putting heatsinks on the VRM void any warranty?

and I just want to be clear, its a 2 year parts and labor warranty for the US/Canada? i just can't find anything on the Palit website so it makes me worry.

cessus

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah beware... Palits warranty does not cover the heatsink. My fan broke while it was spinning since it's so brittle and I emailed them and they refused to replace it. Claiming I need to send it back to an online retailer I bought it from who tells me I need to send it back to palit for the warranty. Right now I just have a random computer fan strapped to the heat sink. Which actually seems to be doing ab etter job then the stock fan =/.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I also broke the fan blade on this cheap piece of crap fan system. A 2gb palit 460, 2gb mind you which will always heat up more due to it's supposed use, more memory more use, and there is NO heatsink application on the ram on the backside!!!!

So, this being said, one day I was taking off a usb cable internally and it hit the fan, and voila 2 dead blades. I took off the heatsink, added 8 memory coolers I built myself from an old GPU heatsink cut into pieces, and then took 2 80mm fans and mounted them onto the heatsink. they are 12v so I coupled them together with solder and linked to a normal MOLEX power connecter internally.

I did a FI FO configuration, fan blowing onto the card and vrm units near the power connectors, and fan blowing out near the case edge. Then I use a cd case top and tilt it 30-35° from center to edge up near case exterior, and I have myself a blow out system. It actually keeps the card MUCH cooler 15-25°C overall than what came with it.

Plait should sell the copper pipe dual fan system the 560Ti has, as I bought that, and wow it is great.

I think Palit is a really interesting company, especially with the 2GB ram option (for 3dsmax gpu rendering, after effects, and premiere pro etc, can't be beaten) but that useless cooling system on the 2gb 460 should be recalled and everyone who wants another fan of higher quality should be allowed to have it!

palit4602gb_mod.jpg