Panasonic Announces Android, Windows 8 Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
whoa, whoa...wait... what is it that I'm missing here?? Surely there is something amazing about these that wasn't stated?? $2899 for a 10" tablet that specs similar to a Surface Pro?? And $1199 for a 7"?? Someone please explain this before I LOL myself to death.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]universal remonster[/nom]whoa, whoa...wait... what is it that I'm missing here?? Surely there is something amazing about these that wasn't stated?? $2899 for a 10" tablet that specs similar to a Surface Pro?? And $1199 for a 7"?? Someone please explain this before I LOL myself to death.[/citation]
It's rather common to see Panasonic products at such prices. From the looks of it on the picture, I can bet that this tablet can be dropped on a hard floor, crushed, sandblasted, drown out, ... Panasonic has been quite succesfull already with their Thoughbook range those last years. OK, they don't sell huge volumes, their market is a niche, but they occupy this niche pretty well and with good margins !
It's a nice tool for many technicians working in bad conditions (the construction sector comes to my mind).

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]dthx[/nom]It's rather common to see Panasonic products at such prices. From the looks of it on the picture, I can bet that this tablet can be dropped on a hard floor, crushed, sandblasted, drown out, ... Panasonic has been quite succesfull already with their Thoughbook range those last years. OK, they don't sell huge volumes, their market is a niche, but they occupy this niche pretty well and with good margins !It's a nice tool for many technicians working in bad conditions (the construction sector comes to my mind).[/citation]
You forgot great for people who get pissed off and throw it against the wall or feel like shooting their devices with crossbows, as I've seen people I've met do!

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Non-Euclidean[/nom]Well the industrial sector better be the only place they are looking because consumers aren't going to pay those prices.[/citation]These are the tablet versions of their toughbook laptops. Toughbooks have never been targeted at the general public. If these tablets can really survive tough conditions, they'll be quite popular with people who work in construction and other areas where normal tablets are likely to get destroyed. There are many companies who buy these things for their workers.

Tell me, what's more cost-efficient: buying $500 tablets that have to be replaced every few months, or buying $1000-$3000 tablets that will last a couple years?

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Tell me, what's more cost-efficient: buying $500 tablets that have to be replaced every few months, or buying $1000-$3000 tablets that will last a couple years?

seems like a $500 tablet inside of a $100 Lifeproof case would be better than a $2800 upfront cost. And if a Lifeproof case isn't quite durable enough, it seems that there is an oppertunity to make a case that caters to such a niche market. I think the $2000 extra you pay to be able to drop it is quite excessive.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]These are the tablet versions of their toughbook laptops. Toughbooks have never been targeted at the general public. If these tablets can really survive tough conditions, they'll be quite popular with people who work in construction and other areas where normal tablets are likely to get destroyed. There are many companies who buy these things for their workers.Tell me, what's more cost-efficient: buying $500 tablets that have to be replaced every few months, or buying $1000-$3000 tablets that will last a couple years?[/citation]

500$ coz simply nowadays the life span of a tablet is hardly 1 year ... people bought tablets with 2 cores , 512M ram , no digitizer .. a year later ... it is 4 cores , 2g ram , digitizer , full hd and even better battery and thinner.

I never buy any ANY PC today with more than 2 years maximum in mind for replacement.

and for not destroying it? buy a good Case. and it wont be 2000$ case lol ...

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]universal remonster[/nom]seems like a $500 tablet inside of a $100 Lifeproof case would be better than a $2800 upfront cost. And if a Lifeproof case isn't quite durable enough, it seems that there is an oppertunity to make a case that caters to such a niche market. I think the $2000 extra you pay to be able to drop it is quite excessive.[/citation]

True , it is all rubber and plastic case after all .... 2000$ for that? there is even no R&D costs here

for the design 500$ max more IMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.