Panasonic Releases First Smart TVs Running Firefox OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like a TV with windows built in where i can use HTPC applications natively and play 1080p and maybe 4k files. Intel has the computestick for $150, i'd gladly pay the added cost for this functionality.

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I am not upgrading to a new TV until my Panasonic VT25 plasma dies.. Should be a long long time. (cross fingers) Until something finally is better than Panasonic Plasma's in picture i will not be impressed by extras.

@airborn824, considering the strides OLED has made that should be another year or maybe two before your VT25's PQ is surpassed. I would say this year it already has been surpassed but LG's OLED's have a few kinks still.

The Panasonic CX800 and CX850 are FALD and HDR ready so they might not be to bad in picture quality. I'm eyeballing them for my living room since(lots of light).

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Working around TVs for 3 years i was not and am not impressed by OLED. WHile yes they are better then LED-LCD and CCFL-LCD, that does not say much. IGZO from Sharp may be close but who is gonna pay for that? Plasma is still to this day the best TV technology yet produced, and while it is big and ugly when it is off. My tv is still better then $10k Sony X950 in motion and color. The THX cert is great.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I would like a TV with windows built in where i can use HTPC applications natively and play 1080p and maybe 4k files. Intel has the computestick for $150, i'd gladly pay the added cost for this functionality.
Have you thought about the Surface?
I use a Toshiba Encore as an HTPC and it works great and doesn't have the ram bandwith halved like the computestick. Bluray will cost extra though - $80 for an external player and $40 for the software - unless W10 gives out that for free too.
Make sure it has HDMI out - most tablets don't and over air mirroring is bad.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
"This could help cut costs slightly by reducing the size of the storage device."

It might cut production costs, but it will not affect end-user pricing. As always, these TVs will be priced based on whatever the market is able to bare in each locale.

Ian.

arrianna

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
Great article. For those who live outside US like me, you can access Netflix, Hulu and similar media stations on your Panasonic Smart TV by using UnoTelly or similar tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.