Question Panic! After Clonezilla, my original drive is now NOT bootable

Jul 24, 2024
I’ve done this cloning operation:

Original device: SSD Kioxia Exceria Pro 1TB PCIe 4 NVMe
Target device: SSD Kingston FURY Renegade 4 TB PCIe 4 NVMe

I followed all the cloning process, with success messages, all seemed to be correct. I followed this tutorial, step by step:

[Moderator note: deleted link.]

After, my target device doesn’t boot. It’s recognised by the BIOS, and the Boot priority is correct. But it says:
“reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”

Even worse, my original drive is ALSO unable to boot, same message. How is it possible? May Clonezilla damaged my original drive? I’m shocking, I cannot lose all my data.

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
I deleted the link that you posted for two reasons: 1) No one should try that (whatever it was) and 2) there may some risk in visiting that website.

= = = =

Is your important data backed up?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Source site for Clonezilla?

You may need a full and clean Windows reinstall.

Jul 24, 2024
1. Backups. Where were they?

2. A clone operation, done correctly, should NOT have modified the source drive in any way. No matter what tool you used.
1. I always do backups in my macbook machines. Unfortunately I did not for this windows machine.

2. Everything was smooth and messages okey.

Now I'm in troubles. Can this be related to MBR-GPT?

USAFRet

Titan
Let's assume that the clone is unrecoverable to boot from. Either the source or target.

Do you have another drive you can install Windows on?
Then, we might be able to connect either of these drives as a secondary, and recover your personal files. (not applications, just files)

Jul 24, 2024
Let's assume that the clone is unrecoverable to boot from. Either the source or target.

Do you have another drive you can install Windows on?
Then, we might be able to connect either of these drives as a secondary, and recover your personal files. (not applications, just files)
Switched the slots.
So both drives were connected?

That was likely the fatal mistake.
Probably.

I don't have another PC. I can operate with a macbook now...