Panram's DDR4 Memory Might Be Cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Is Panram an EU brand? I've never seen them before here in the US. Neat looking modules I guess but really if you even have the option of getting DDR4 at this point you'll probably buy the high quality stuff.

InvalidError

Titan

The fastest DDR3 in the world does you no good if you want to build a system with an Haswell-E which only works with DDR4... if you want Haswell-E, you will need DDR4 no matter how much it may not seem to make sense at least for the time being.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
pierre; right now top end DDR3 is going to be faster than early DDR4 because; Timings. right now this is only going to adopt power savings, and I've actually been curious personally why hasen't an OEM tried to do an X99/DDR3 board; much like the old days where you could get those boards that supported DDR1 and DDR2 on the same board, or simply supporting the older standard during this early phase. It's probably going to be late next year or even early 2016 before we see DDR4's bandwidth advantages outstripping Hot, O.C.'d DDR3 with Tight, sexy Timings. i wouldn't mind a budget X99-SLI board with only 4 DDR3 slots (2 on each side?) supporting up to 32GB of DDR3-3200(OC) to throw a 5820k on. it WOULD be kinda interesting to see what a 3 PCIe x9 (v3.0) slots would look like with a single PCIe 1x, hehe.

dschnoz

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
You're thinking of a time when the memory controller wasn't on chip. If Haswell-E doesnt support ddr3 then neither will any motherboard that supports Haswell-E.

dschnoz

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
You're thinking of a time when the memory controller wasn't on chip. If Haswell-E doesnt support ddr3 then neither will any motherboard that supports Haswell-E.

dovah-chan

Honorable

I think it'll take even longer for wide market adoption. RAM is already extremely fast and it took about 2x longer for JEDEC to decide on the DDR4 standards than it did with DDR3. I think that DDR4 would be somewhat unnecessary if every company adopted the green's manufacturing process but it was a proprietary samsung method and very few DIMMs with the same chips as the green exist. If I remember right a pair of really high end trident ones might have had the same ones.

I would say the method would be too expensive to reproduce but samsung sold the RAM dirt cheap so probably not, but you'd still need their expertise and fabs. Right now the RAM market is extremely bloated and stale so it's refreshing to see something new.

Is Panram an EU brand? I've never seen them before here in the US. Neat looking modules I guess but really if you even have the option of getting DDR4 at this point you'll probably buy the high quality stuff.

Turns out they're an asian OEM. Thanks google

Milestone -Kingston becomes the single largest shareholder in Panram

there home page also stated that Kingston was there biggest share holder and may still be so is it a Kingston kit is a rebranded panram??

dovah-chan

Honorable
Shareholder does not necessarily equal ownership or even an influence in products. To me it seems that Kingston likely invests in other fabs to keep their position in the marketplace and take a small amount of profit from other companies revenue. If they were already a DRAM fab before Kingston even became a major shareholder then it's unlikely that they are rebrands.

The DRAM market is a competitive place with brand name prominence being a huge factor rather performance. Of course quality control is another piece of the puzzle, but is a more hidden aspect of what equates to gaining market dominance. (much like PSUs in my eyes)

Alex Achour

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
..."that way you'll be able to mix black and white heatsinks for fancy color effects." Black and white are not colors. Black and white are hues. So... "fancy hue effects" would make more sense. :)

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
The industry can use some SERIOUS price reductions.

Dear god yes, it's absurd the RAM prices at the moment. I'm lucky I bought myself 32GB of DDR3 back a little over a year ago before the prices skyrocketed. I got all 32GB for $120 at the time.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I want 64Gb to be about $40. 8Tb drives about $100 - those really ARE massive mechanical marvels, after all. Get CPUs back into the Land of the Living, too. Then, even the crappiest OS won't stop custom-PC building to take off again, in a big way.

And Alex, thanks for the great demonstration of smarts - HUES, YES!! Finally!!

Of course, I thought the Zebra Mix possibilities were so that, when someone's driving these Panram-loaded PCs thru the Kalahari, many of these PCs could cluster together and make a run for it, confusing jackals, lions and cheetahs with the flashing HUES.

InvalidError

Titan

DDR3 prices are pretty much where they need to be unless you want more memory manufacturers to go bankrupt from unsustainable low prices: every time DRAM prices have hit historic lows has been accompanied by one or more memory chip manufacturers going bankrupt before prices shot back up. There used to be over a dozen DRAM manufacturers with significant market shares 20 years ago but now, most DRAM chips are manufactured by only four players.

If you think RAM is expensive now, wait until the next major manufacturer goes bankrupt or bails out of the DRAM business.

$150 for 16GB is still a heck of a lot better deal than $300 for 256MB 15 years ago or $60 for 4MB 20 years ago.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Yes to all of that. However, the industry has been whining about flat or falling business. Why should they complain about not selling as much when they stick with 4-5 year old prices? The industry's customers were used to falling prices and improved technologies, and we really haven't seen major performance gains OR significant price drops except in 1Tb-and-smaller HDDs. And those are all competing against SSDs now, not among themselves.

InvalidError

Titan

Why are they sticking to 4-5 years old prices? Because:
1- they cannot manufacture entry-level DRAM chips and HDDs any cheaper than they already do if they want to maintain some degree of profitability so they can afford staying in business
2- the technology itself has reached a point where further improvements require far greater engineering effort and costs so capacities, performance and costs are no longer progressing anywhere near as fast as they used to
3- most of the market demand is met by entry-level components
4- those same entry-level components are good enough for most people for 5+ years so replacement cycles are becoming longer across the board

CPU prices have been largely stagnant with only incremental performance improvements for the past four years too. Same goes with nearly all other commodity/entry-level components: they are all pretty much as inexpensive as they can be without driving the manufacturers' out of business.

Even on the SoC front that had exponential performance growth between the first smartphones and tablets until 2012 have already slowed down considerably. With 16nm chips coming out next year, there should be a lurch forward but after that, things will likely stagnate for another 3-4 years.

The days of new products with compelling upgrade reasons nearly every (other) year are mostly over.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
i wound up being pretty picky recently and picked up A-DATA DDR3-2400 16GB (2x8GB) for $159. at that price it's taking some other OEMs like Kingston and Crucial to the cleaners AND it's fortunate enough to be on the Mobo Compatibility list for ASUS. That plus lifetime warranty there's a couple companies out there worth looking into. still overall kinda sucks for price. I doubt this will cause any drops in DDR3 pricing though because of changing fabs/process.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Invalid, yes, they have a host of reasons they trot out and prance around. But they're still the ones wringing their hands over lowered sales and dwindling profits.

It's not that prices aren't "fair" - whatever that means - but THEY are in an industry that had tumbling prices and gaining performance standards, which propped up customer expectations.

It's understandable - every point they and you make.

And I'm not sure if the SmartPhone World will keep castrating and/or inherit the personal-computer world entirely. After all, we've just seen three James Bond films where he saves the world from his smartphone. What else could we need? (I'm still pretty miffed about losing that DB5, by the way. Why not shred that silly Beemer Pretty Boy was driving around in, instead?)

Status
Not open for further replies.