Parallel Port Question??Damage?

G

Hey,
I was just wondering....u know how with USB devices, u can hotswap while ur computer is on?
Well, I have a parallel port portable mp3 player (yeah i know its cheap) and a parallel port printer.
Should I turn off my computer before I switch between the 2, or can I switch while my computer is on?
Can the mainboard/mp3 player get damaged if I switch while the computer is on? I tried it once, and nothing much happened...i got away with it....if no damage occurs once does it mean it wont happen again?
I hope someone can explain this to me...

Thanks
arundipasad@hotmail.com

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Parallel ports do not support hot-swapping, and yes, you can damage the port or or the connector by plugging/unplugging devices while the computer is on.

You might look into purchasing a switch that will allow you to choose between the devices on the port without shutting down and restarting. You can also purchase a second parallel port which will take a free ISA or PCI slot, which might be slightly cheaper.

Note: Generally, most printers/scanners "need" to use the primary parallel port on the mainboard, and can lock the port, which is why installing a second port is the best solution.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Arun,

Its actually a risk switching live connections. If you have to, make sure at least one of those is off.

Once I accidently put in a external modem whiile it was on, it dint work. I changes the modem it still dint work. Guessed the serial port was out, so I left the machine and the next day I found everything ok!

Apparently the transients that occured during the connection of two live ports had temporarily damaged the serial port on the PC, but after a while about 8 hrs later it <i>healed</i>!

Better do it switching off both the device and the PC, or at least keep one device switched off which still is a bit of a risk.

BTW where are you? I am in Pune.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>