Part 2: How Many CPU Cores Do You Need?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Considering the popularity of iTunes, I'm suprised this app's performance is so poor when more than one core is used. Same of Winzip.

raj072

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I've recently upgraded to a quad core I 920. Full speed is what many people are concerned about but actually the min speed is what matters in real life. With the quad the computer never gets bogged down, you never have the 3 sec of lag or stutter you get from duals and singles.

I use to be such a nit pick when it came to background tasks because they did have a huge impact on my gaming. With this quad core and 6 gigs the system never slows down, the extra cores just take up the slack. I'm sure developers are busy making apps that will slow me down forcing the upgrade to a 6 core. :)

G

Great article. Told me what I wanted to know, more is better, especially when multitasking, which I do do a lot of. Thanks. I have no complaints about the covered information. I came into this wondering how the software market was keeping up with the multicore market, and it seems they are catching up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.