sorensen_d_ash

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Hello, I am beginning my very first build and in the process of picking out all the components. I have most of the parts I want to use decided on and I was hoping that someone could tell me if they are all compatible (perhaps a quick explanation on why for future reference), and based on these components maybe give me a recommendation on a motherboard.

I have been doing a lot of research but I only just started reading about all of this a few days ago, so I should warn that I am not entirely tech savvy. Also, please bear in mind, I'm not very rich...

Anyhow, here are the parts I decided on:
Case: Cooler Master RC430
CPU: Phenom II X6 T1090
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650w continuous power supply
GPU: Radeon HD 6870 (my eventual goal is to get a second and run them in crossfire)
RAM: Not yet sure...looking at 8GB (2x4GB) Plan to buy more later
HD: Also not yet sure...looking at 1TB SATA drives

I plan on having a CD/DVD burner (of course) and eventually adding on a Blueray burner/reader.

I am trying to keep the motherboard under $200, though under $100 would be nice...

I don't play a lot of games, but I do play some high-end RPGs. I also do a lot of graphics work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

sorensen_d_ash

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Sorry, tried to be as specific as possible but I guess I wasn't entirely clear.

Like I said in the OP, I'm not really sure what mobo I want and was hoping for any recs based on my components. I want to get a standard AMX, ddr3, capable of handling 16GB of RAM.

I'm trying to keep my budget close to 800 (not including monitor - because I hope to inherit one soon..., keyboard, or mouse) but these parts are probably going to run me closer to or over 900.

I plan on using it for gaming and graphic design work (mostly photo manipulation, maybe a bit of video editing but nothing really professional, just hobby).

Any advice or links to resources would be nice, especially on motherboard selection. Thanks!