Partition HD before installing Windows?

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Is this possible? I will be buying a SSD in the future and I read something about having to transfer an image of the whole HD over to the SSD, so I assume it's easier to partition the HD and install Windows to the partition for future transfer to a SSD?

Solution
Install Windows on the HD with the entire drive used as the partition. When you get the SSD, install a clean copy of Windows on it. Next, just delete the Windows folder from the old HD, and use it for data storage.

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Ah great, I guess it's been so long since I've installed Windows that I forgot it does that, I think a partition of 100gb is sufficient? NFTS is what I want to format it (and the other partition) to, correct?

It's not a good idea to clone a hard drive to an SSD. Do the windows install directly on the SSD. Also, in order to make life easier down the road, make sure the SSD is the only attached drive when installing the OS. You can attach the rest of the drives after installing windows. This will guarantee that the boot loader and the OS end up on the same drive.

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Install Windows on the HD with the entire drive used as the partition. When you get the SSD, install a clean copy of Windows on it. Next, just delete the Windows folder from the old HD, and use it for data storage.

Solution

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

I read somewhere that's the way to do it.. anyway, I guess you are right

Sounds like a plan!

Make ya life easy.....

1. Install Windows to the same size partition as your intended SSD.

2. Create Programs, Games, Data and Backup or whatever partitions to your liking. Install ya stuff.

3. When SSD arrives, unplug HD and install windows to SSD.

4. Reinstall ya programs and games over themselves to set up registry on SSD .... all customizations will be retained.

You now have two fully functional windows installations. If SSD ever craps out you can boot of HD installation and have full access to your data. Image backups of SSD oin backups partition can be restored in a few clicks.