Partition Magic Hangs When Resizing Partition - Windows XP

The problem I have is on another computer that will no longer boot.
This happened when I requested PARTITIONMAGIC 8.0 to resize a partition
on a secondary IDE drive on the computer. Now, when the computer
reboots, the following PartitionMagic Screen appears:

PartitionMagic (xmnt2002.exe)

Powerquest PartitionMagic is preparing to apply changes.
Press any key to abort

Some disk activity occurs for several seconds. System hangs (freezes)
at this point. PartitionMagic does not resize the partition on the 2nd
drive. Pressing ANY KEY does not exit this screen. I then exit by
turning off the PC. Turning the computer back on results in the same
screen freeze again.

Pressing F8 and attempting to run SAFE MODE does not help. I have also
tried to turn on boot logging. Looking at the hard drive as a
secondary drive on another computer shows that no boot log was ever
created.

What can I do to stop the intitiation of the PartitionMagic Resizing
task and simply boot XP?

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> The problem I have is on another computer that will no longer boot.
> This happened when I requested PARTITIONMAGIC 8.0 to resize a partition
> on a secondary IDE drive on the computer. Now, when the computer
> reboots, the following PartitionMagic Screen appears:

I used to work for PowerQuest and at that time we had a DOS tool to remove
the runonce entry that causes PM to run when starting Windows. So, I recon
that if you give Symantec a call they will be able to sent you that utility.
I think it was called cleanPQB.exe. Maybe you can google for it.

If the FS is FAT32, you can also find the PM batch file with the extension
..PQB edit and add this line on top: BATCH_FILE_PROCESSED. If the file system
is NTFS try ntfs4dos (free) from www.datapol.de. Unlike the winternals free
ntfs dos driver this one is read and write capable.

--
Joep

Thanks Joep. I found the batch file and added the line you suggested.
Worked perfectly.

the best you can do is try by uninstalling the pratition magic 8.0 and
if you want to do the partition install the older version of partition
magic 7.0 and try to resize the partition and if the problem occurs the
same you may have to copy all the data to another hard disk resize the
partition

Ganesh Prasad
kgp_79@rediffmail.com

> The problem I have is on another computer that will no longer boot.
> This happened when I requested PARTITIONMAGIC 8.0 to resize a
partition
> on a secondary IDE drive on the computer. Now, when the computer
> reboots, the following PartitionMagic Screen appears:

> PartitionMagic (xmnt2002.exe)
>
> Powerquest PartitionMagic is preparing to apply changes.
> Press any key to abort
>
> Some disk activity occurs for several seconds. System hangs
(freezes)
> at this point. PartitionMagic does not resize the partition on the
2nd
> drive. Pressing ANY KEY does not exit this screen. I then exit by
> turning off the PC. Turning the computer back on results in the same
> screen freeze again.
>

> Pressing F8 and attempting to run SAFE MODE does not help. I have
also
> tried to turn on boot logging. Looking at the hard drive as a
> secondary drive on another computer shows that no boot log was ever
> created.
>
> What can I do to stop the intitiation of the PartitionMagic Resizing
> task and simply boot XP?

SomeJoe7777

Stop digging up old threads so that you can hawk your partition manager software.

I've reported your post as spam and will report any further ones as spam.