Question Partition on HDD was reformatted by mistake ?

Keldrilh

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2016
Hello, I'm kind of panicking at the moment.

One of the 3 partition of my only Hard Disk has been formatted by mistake.

Once formatted, no more data were written on that partition of the hard disk.

I think it was a quick formatting that occured because since I checked that HDD no more than 2 minutes earlier, everything was still there.

There is also the possibility I launched a full formatting. If so, I stopped it in no more than 1 minutes. The problem is that I don't know in which moment exactly I picked the wrong letter to be formatted.

I probably accidentally formatted it because I was trying to format an USB drive connected to the laptop, and I clicked the wrong Drive Letter.

Which is the best software solution to recover it?

Thanks in advance for any who can help 🙏🏻

Keldrilh

Last edited:

Keldrilh

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2016
Do you have any external backup?

It is possible that a forensic recovery outfit can recover critical data, but it will be very expensive.
I purchased new laptop.

Almost all of my data had been transferred on this new laptop in order to make a backup of everything.

Actually that is what I was doing. A backup of everything on the USB key.

The backup had a problem because the laptop switched off due to low battery while I was formatting the new USB key.

After accidentally switching off the laptop,, the USB key didn't respond. So I wanted to format it again. And that's when I did the mistake.

Even formatted, the USB key had problem, and I was formatting it multiple times. And accidentally I formatted the HD with the data.

Data came mainly from 2 external HD of 2 old laptop.

I have previously formatted them without waiting to have the new backup on the new USB key. That was my mistake.

Also both of them have no rewritten data on them. So I guess In a way or another I will be able to recover all files. It's just I'm gonna lose a lot of time.

And I have to find the right software...

😪

Keldrilh

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2016
Tools like Recuva can grab data that is still on the disk. Eraser and other similar wiping tools usually have this capability as well.

Worth a shot.

I have to buy them. Which one would be your first shot? I don't mind if it has to be one more expensive of another. They are more all around same price.