Partition WD hdd while it is not empty

kapalik

Honorable
Apr 21, 2014
Dear freinds,

I have a recertified WD hdd (1 TB/931.51 GB) with two partitions - C: (21.3 GB) and D: (910 GB,free space 802 GB), both NTFS filesystem. I want to create another partition from D: drive with space 20-25 GB, since that drive got lot of empty space. Do I need to empty the whole D: drive, delete that partition, and then create 2 new partitions? Is it possible to create a new partition out of the empty space in D: drive using any partition managing program without harming its integrity, performance and stability? Which partition managing program would be the best for the task?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
this is the software I would use to create an E: or F: or what you fancy drive out of your space on D: drive and yes there should be no problem in doing so very easy it will ask you to confirm that you are happy for it to go ahead and will show you what it will look like after it has finished very nice software it will take a fair time to complete.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/easeus_partition_master_home_edition.html

there will be no data lost as long as you do it properly it will show you the outcome.
this is the software I would use to create an E: or F: or what you fancy drive out of your space on D: drive and yes there should be no problem in doing so very easy it will ask you to confirm that you are happy for it to go ahead and will show you what it will look like after it has finished very nice software it will take a fair time to complete.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/easeus_partition_master_home_edition.html

there will be no data lost as long as you do it properly it will show you the outcome.

Solution
Unless I misunderstand your present drives' configuration and your objective I see no reason a relatively simple Disk Management undertaking won't meet your objective without the need for employing a third-party partition management program.

As I understand it...you have two partitions on the drive in question - a C: partition of 21 GB (presumably the first partition), and a second D: partition of 910 GB containing data of about 108 GB. Do I have all this right so far?

Your objective is to shrink the the D: partition so that you could create a third partition of 25 GB. So that the reconfigured drive would contain three partitions - 1. 21 GB; 2. 885 GB; 3. 25 GB (a total of 931 GB (the total disk-space of this 1 TB HDD). Do I have this right?

If so, just use Disk Management to shrink the D: partition by 25 GB and create a third partition out of that unallocated disk-space. A quite basic operation.

Of course, perhaps a more pertinent question is why you would want to create a relatively small partition of that size? Obviously you must have a reason and it would be interesting to hear what it is.

kapalik

Honorable
Apr 21, 2014
As I understand it...you have two partitions on the drive in question - a C: partition of 21 GB (presumably the first partition), and a second D: partition of 910 GB containing data of about 108 GB. Do I have all this right so far?

Yes you are right.:D

Your objective is to shrink the the D: partition so that you could create a third partition of 25 GB. So that the reconfigured drive would contain three partitions - 1. 21 GB; 2. 885 GB; 3. 25 GB (a total of 931 GB (the total disk-space of this 1 TB HDD). Do I have this right?

Right again.:D

If so, just use Disk Management to shrink the D: partition by 25 GB and create a third partition out of that unallocated disk-space. A quite basic operation.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Of course, perhaps a more pertinent question is why you would want to create a relatively small partition of that size? Obviously you must have a reason and it would be interesting to hear what it is.

Planning to install a linux distro in that 20-25 GB partition.

kapalik

Honorable
Apr 21, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion.