Partitioning Disks Questions

anotheruser2

Prominent
Oct 14, 2018
Looking to partition a 2Tb drive (useable spave says 1.8Tb, but 190......Mb.

Looking to parition to the following:

500Gb
580Gb
580Gb
150Gb
XXGb (whatever is left)

Typed in the 500000Mb in Disk Management but it's now given me a parition of 488.28Gb.

Is there a way I can ensure it's 500.xxGb?

Secondly, I've now partitioned it but in Computer, it says there's 372Gb free of 488Gb.
But the disk is empty?

Puzzled!

Thanks

anotheruser2

Prominent
Oct 14, 2018

Games
Documents
Downloads
Storage / Things I'm working on / Projects
Things to transfer to an external hard drive (which I do once every few months)

USAFRet

Titan

IMHO, that's better left as just top level folders on that drive.
Partitions have a way of being 'too small' for a named use.

For instance, with a 500GB partition.
You have 450GB used up.
You want to install a game that consumes 80GB.
You can't, even though the physical drive has plenty of free space in the other partitions.

But, to each his own.

anotheruser2

Prominent
Oct 14, 2018

Yeah, but that'll never be me as the partitions are too big for what I really need at the moment anyway.
Considering I'm doing fine with a 500Gb hard drive partitioned in the same way ;)
Plus, if I need to make more room, I can always extend one of the other partitions and swap space around but I don't see that happening.

I agree, I really don't see the point in creating partitions or volumes when an ordinary file structure will do the job. If you needed to section off data based on drive letters or install multiple operating systems then a volume or partition would be the way to go.

But again, to each their own.

you realize folders (also called directories) separate those those types of data too right? you can get the same effect by having one partition for your OS and programs and another for the rest. you are just making a mess of your drive by having all those partitions.

if the drive does fail or get corrupted partitioning like that will not save you

anotheruser2

Prominent
Oct 14, 2018
I understand.

But It's become a habit now when clicking on "Computer" being able to access games or documents, music or whatever without having to double click into a generically named drive like "Stuff".

I get it only saves one click but it's just the way I have worked for years now.

USAFRet

Titan

You can do it if you want.
I wouldn't.

You know...you can create shortcuts to individual folders, and have them appear in Quick Access or on the Desktop.
Just like specific named partitions.
One click, and you're looking at only that folder.