Darrin

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I bought a new larger hard drive, formatted it in Windows and cloned all of the data from the old drive to the new hard drive. All is well, all went great, but now there is a primary partition and I have over 400 GB of unallocated space that I cannot get to. I went into disk management to try partitioning it but there was some type of error and it would not complete the task. Could not find the system event log on my PC anywhere, to get details of the error. Any suggestions??

sub mesa

Distinguished
Post a screenshot of the Disk Management screen. What exactly didn't work?

You should be able to right click your C partition and use Expand, unless you are using an extended partition (a sort of container of one or more partitions). If thats the case you should always be able to right click the unallocated space and create a new partition, you'll get the D drive or E drive or whatever drive letter is free.

Darrin

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

How do you do a screenshot? I right clicked on the unallocated space, went through the steps of the partition wizard and then the error box comes up. Disk configuration could not complete the task. Check the system event log for more details about the error. I can't find the system event log. I even did a search on my PC and it found nothing.

sub mesa

Distinguished
By pressing the Print Screen button on your keyboard and opening a graphics editing application, you can press control-V to paste the current screenshot and make a picture. Be sure to compress it using JPEG or PNG format, not as BMP or it will be very large.

To host images online, you can use something like http://imageshack.us

vvelumm

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Press Print Sc button.
Start > all programs, accessories , Paint.
Edit > paste.
File > Save AS > something file name > change type to JPEG.

upload picture to tinypic.com or something.