Question Password Storage Device?

Oct 5, 2019
I have a few old cell phones, and thinking that maybe I can use one as an encrypted password storage device.

Has anybody done this? Since there is a micro SD capability, the passwords can be backed up just in case you lose the device or the device breaks. What encryption app is available that can be installed thru the microSD card since I plan to disable the bluetooth, wifi and cell capability(alter hardware maybe, suggestions?)?

It will be like those password storage devices like the passwordsFAST Compact Electronic Password Keeper but with more flexibility.

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting project.....

I am not aware of any such applications but that does not mean that there are none available.

For the most part, I think you will end up needing a different app for each make/model cell phone.

And you may need to actually develop the app via a SDK (Software Developer's Kit) E.g., for Android:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5425-android-sdk.html

You would write the code/script necessary to provide the end user with the necessary screens and functions regarding the storage and retrieval of passwords. As flexible and functional as you wish.

Plus ensuring some level of user friendliness and overall security to keep the passwords protected.

That said, it may become somewhat tricky to be able to add, edit, and delete passwords on the old cell phone. Especially with Bluetooth, wifi, and cell disabled. You would not have, for example, the ability to import, export, or backup password lists.

And the next concern would be any continued reliability or maintainability of those old cell phones. No more chargers, no more replacement batteries.

So if you are interested in coding and generally want a challenge to your skills then develop the app(s).

Otherwise, a simple encrypted flash drive would indeed be a more compelling choice.

Oct 5, 2019
Why not just use an encrypted flash drive?
Do you know of any USB encrypted thumbdrive with built in software that can be run on old android phone or old iphone? Just like when I run SandiskSecureAccess on Sandisk thumbdrive on my windows PC...
All I want to do is make use of the user interface on iphone or android so I can easily view/edit the password files I create but in offline mode and saved file in encrypted mode.
Thanks

Oct 5, 2019
Anybody?
Does anybody know of encrypting USB thumbdrive that can be used on windows PC, android phone, iphone, raspberry pi or linux? Meaning thumbdrive files created and encrypted using window can be decrpyted on other platforms i.e. linux, android phone , iphone,etc. and vice versa

Anybody?
Does anybody know of encrypting USB thumbdrive that can be used on windows PC, android phone, iphone, raspberry pi or linux? Meaning thumbdrive files created and encrypted using window can be decrpyted on other platforms i.e. linux, android phone , iphone,etc. and vice versa

Get a USB drive with built-in keypad for encryption/decryption like this thing. Once unlocked it will act like a normal drive to anything you connect it to. Since encryption travels with the drive, it's independent of what you hook it up to, phone, Windows, etc...

51dNx2NiXDL._SL1000_.jpg

Oct 5, 2019
Get a USB drive with built-in keypad for encryption/decryption like this thing. Once unlocked it will act like a normal drive to anything you connect it to. Since encryption travels with the drive, it's independent of what you hook it up to, phone, Windows, etc...

51dNx2NiXDL._SL1000_.jpg
Thanks. I will check this device.
BTW, am I right that if I plug this into let us say a linux device to view an encrypted file, then the contents of that file will already be exposed and may be compromised if the linux device is on line?

USAFRet

Titan
BTW, am I right that if I plug this into let us say a linux device to view an encrypted file, then the contents of that file will already be exposed and may be compromised if the linux device is on line?
I would expect no.
If the data at rest is encrypted, connecting to a Linux box does not automatically decrypt it.

I have a similar drive, and it works as follows:
  • when just plugged, nothing happens, the system does not recognize there's a drive
  • if I plug it unlocked, it appears as a standard (slow) USB drive.
  • As explained above, lock/unlock is in the drive, and does not depend on OS / platform used.

Yes the same as any file you actually look at, it has to be decrypted to view it. That drive will show nothing unless you unlock it first, then it acts like a normal USB drive, then you lock it and contents are encrypted again. Only difference is that decryption happens before you plug in the drive instead of after, which makes it work on every device that can see a USB drive.