News Pat Gelsinger Says Silicon Without Software Support Is a Bug

Giroro

Splendid
"One of the things that I've learned in my 11-year 'vacation' [at VMware and EMC] ..."

I think one of the other things Gelsinger learned at VMware, is that companies can get so deeply hooked into a subscription model, that they have no choice but to keep paying price hikes or risk losing the whole business.

I'm calling it now: I think Intel is going to try charging their customers subscription fees to use hardware, even after its purchased.
They're going to try and get in on that "infinite money forever" business model.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
So Pat is giving Apple a pat on the back by saying this. It is true that software and hardware need to work hand in hand, since what good is the hardware when the software is inefficient and cannot utilise the full potential of the hardware. The problem for Intel however is that they have limited control over the OS or software developed. They can work closely with the developers, but because they don't own the software companies, getting the software to marry nicely with their hardware all the time is not possible.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
Intel has its own publicly available operating system, that you or anybody can download and use.

Too bad its based on linux. that limits its reach quite a bit, if it was able to run windows based programs it could be interesting, only i think 3 people i know use linux, and even then, most of their times in spent in windows :)

D

Deleted member 431422

It's kind of obvious these days. Without software to back up the hardware you won't sell your products. He's stating well known facts.