Question PATA IDE to SATA Interface Adapter Converter, Serial ATA SATA to Parallel ATA PATA/IDE Hard Drive for 3.5"/2.5" Hard Drive HDD DVD -

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
I have just got one of these
PATA IDE to SATA Interface Adapter Converter, Serial ATA SATA to Parallel ATA PATA/IDE Hard Drive for 3.5"/2.5" Hard Drive HDD DVD - Plug And
I have a Retro Athlon 2400 i am trying to get XP on the drive, with the above Adapter.
I have four different XP discs all of them fail to install .I have no problem with getting XP to install on any of the discs on my Dell PC.I put XP on the drive i am using on the retro PC i plugged it in the Retro PC it came up with the blue screen error it said
check disc i put it back in the dell it automatically checked the disc and was working fine.Put it back in the Retro PC and came up with the same blue error screen.
Is it posible to get XP on the drive with that Adapter?
Or is it incapable of doing that with the drive on my Retro PC?

kanewolf

Titan
I have just got one of these
PATA IDE to SATA Interface Adapter Converter, Serial ATA SATA to Parallel ATA PATA/IDE Hard Drive for 3.5"/2.5" Hard Drive HDD DVD - Plug And
I have a Retro Athlon 2400 i am trying to get XP on the drive, with the above Adapter.
I have four different XP discs all of them fail to install .I have no problem with getting XP to install on any of the discs on my Dell PC.I put XP on the drive i am using on the retro PC i plugged it in the Retro PC it came up with the blue screen error it said
check disc i put it back in the dell it automatically checked the disc and was working fine.Put it back in the Retro PC and came up with the same blue error screen.
Is it posible to get XP on the drive with that Adapter?
Or is it incapable of doing that with the drive on my Retro PC?
Are you trying to use a PATA motherboard interface with a SATA disk ? Is this for the CD/DVD drive or the HDD ?

1. make sure the master/slave jumper is set correctly.
  2. double check what the maximum size of disk the bios can see is, if you are trying to use a 1Tb drive you are going to have a very bad time...most drives back then where like 80Gb and it would not be strange for the bios to have a limit of 137Gb

The athlon 2400 came out a year after the limit got increased to 137Gb so if it has an older mobo it might even have the lower limit.
https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-4.html

Reactions: Wishbone1

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
  1. make sure the master/slave jumper is set correctly.
  2. double check what the maximum size of disk the bios can see is, if you are trying to use a 1Tb drive you are going to have a very bad time...most drives back then where like 80Gb and it would not be strange for the bios to have a limit of 137Gb
The athlon 2400 came out a year after the limit got increased to 137Gb so if it has an older mobo it might even have the lower limit.
https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-4.html
Thanks for your reply to my question.:)It has all been sorted now .I got the OS on a 1 tb 2.5 HDD and finally on a 3.5 320 gb drive ,which i wanted so i could fit it in the case, without having to buy a try to get it in the PC.Plus the fact the 3.5 drive is faster than the 2.5 one.
It is handy to know the info you have given to me, for future reference. :)