Patch Makes Nvidia Play Nice With ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Tom's Hardware[/nom]Of course, the setup of having both Nvidia and ATI GPUs in one system are exceptionally rare[/citation]

I disagree. I am currently using a 8800GTS, and am planning on getting a 58XX in a month or so, and was going to keep by GTS in my system for PhysX processing. I imagine many people may do the same also.

G

Strike 1 for the Good Guys! :D

Back to the Time out bench for nVidia :p

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I agree with Ace I don't think this is as rare as you think. I know for one if I had a nvidia card, and upgraded to ATI, but knew I could still put the nvidia card to use I sure in the hell would.

I had no doubt somebody would do this.

Rahbot

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Well Im in the market to get a new PC and I was going to go with a 4GPU Nvidia System but now I just might go with ATI, I just might get 2 or 3 ATI GPU's and get a PhysX card just to handle the PhysX.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I also agree with ace. I think Nvidia knows alot of people will upgrade to the new 58X cards from Ati & will keep their old NVidia card for PHYX since win7 supports it. This is really not smart of Nvidia from a business standpoint because alot of people that already have Ati cards would probably buy a supplemental Nvidia card just for the PHysX if the driver didn't block it. Way to go Nvidia.

G

If Nvidia was smart, they would join with ATI to develope a high end, combination Nvidia/ATI GPU video card.

Now that is something I would like to see and I think everyone else would too.

Just think of the possibilities if they would combine their efforts.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"Of course, the setup of having both Nvidia and ATI GPUs in one system are exceptionally rare"

yeah, I think this is exactly the point. what a massive coincidence that nvidia does this just after the ATI 5870 launches and takes the performance crown from them? there are alot of people using nvidia gpus, specially the awesome 8800gt like me that will be looking for an upgrade, and nvidia is trying to give us a reason for holding off buying this new shiny ATI card dumped in front of us, and wait for their new cards. it would almost be commendable if it wasn't for their Dick Dastardly way of doing it!

All they have actually managed to do is piss everyone off, and not actually succeed from blocking ATI users from nvidia physx. and it would so obviously be hacked too. I mean it may have worked if your market was mainstream n00bs, but its not, its hardcore users like us who will have no trouble using this hack.

silly nvidia.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
at renegade worrior im sorry to say but they would make a monopoly and charge us a hella amount for that ati/nvidia card. by the way i like competition it keeps them on their feet like amd and intel. We all know i7 is just a better phenom!!!

More I think about it and more I find Nvidia to be really cocky with their PhysX stuff. I really wonder why it still being used for development. Havok do the same things and doesn't pull half of the market away for a business matter.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Not only they disabled their GPUS but also the PPU. What's the point in having a PPU if you can't use it unless you are using NVIDIA GPU's? What's the point in having a PPU IF YOU HAVE AN NVIDIA CARD THAT CAN DO JUST THE SAME AND FREE A PCI-E PORT?!
So, in the end, Ageia and ATI users are utterly *bleeped* by a completely monopolistic decision.
ATI should make an anti trust sue against NVIDIA! Hell, I would buy a PPU just to have a chance to sue them too!

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]what a massive coincidence that nvidia does this just after the ATI 5870 launches and takes the performance crown from them?[/citation]
The article states "Nvidia drivers, starting with version 186" which were out back in May. This problem has existed well before the 5870 launch.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]jlaavenger[/nom]What NVIDEA cards support PhysX?[/citation]
vote him down for asking a valid question? wtf?

the 8 series and above I think. dx10 and above.

Since nVidia doesn't have a DX11 card out yet they need to give people an incentive to stick with them. If a gamer appreciates physX then this is one. I'm pretty sure that with DX11 we'll start to see physX fade away in favor of something more open.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
As far as suing nvidia because one of their core technologies is not compatible with a competitor, well... too bad. nvidia should be able to do whatever it wants with it's intellectual property. PhysX is just another feature of nvidia cards now days. There could come a point where intel disables your ability to have PhysX engines working when on their hardware because they support and own Havok, since those two technologies compete and we know intel likes to drive the competition into the dust.

G

[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]at renegade worrior im sorry to say but they would make a monopoly and charge us a hella amount for that ati/nvidia card. by the way i like competition it keeps them on their feet like amd and intel. We all know i7 is just a better phenom!!![/citation]
Never said the company's Should merge to create a monopoly.

Just that they should cooperate to create a special edition card containing both Nvidia and ATI GPUs.

Although a better choice would be for both companies to cooperate so ATI cards and Nvidia cards could be bridged together sorta like Crossfire or SLI.

The whole point being better performance.

i don't know how long you people have been in the computer building thing but i mean its common sense not to use 2 different products when your trying to do something like SLI/crossfire i mean its like if your buying a set of speakers for your stereo where you buy a Kenwood for the left channel and a Sony for the right channel. there not going to have the same quality and possibly may not sync up correctly.

so it is RARE cause only people with no common sense or people who desperately want to have a good system but no money blindly do this

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i don't know how long you people have been in the computer building thing but i mean its common sense not to use 2 different products when your trying to do something like SLI/crossfire i mean its like if your buying a set of speakers for your stereo where you buy a Kenwood for the left channel and a Sony for the right channel. there not going to have the same quality and possibly may not sync up correctly.so it is RARE cause only people with no common sense or people who desperately want to have a good system but no money blindly do this[/citation]

Please enlighten us with your "common sense," o' mighty one.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
as usual, it takes a smart independent programmer to undo the stupidity of a corp. too greedy to realize that in the end they're harming their own consumer base...

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Oh please, all you ATI guys can put down your BURNING Dirext 11 crosses. It's not a holy war Mr. Jahad. Because it is so important to the 1% of ATI owners who can actually afford the 5870 to play the less than 1% of games available with DX11.

Somebody wake me up when DX11 becomes relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.