Patent Troll Goes After Intel, IBM, TI, Micron, Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

techseven

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
The lawsuit does not specifically mention any products of the defendants that allegedly violate the patent, but states that the companies import and sell products in the U.S. that, "upon belief", infringe Semcon's IP.

Whow! Good luck with that.... Weak case to say the least...

mugiebahar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I think in these cases they should,
1) either take the troller and his family along with the lawyers involved and ship them to a deserted island if they are found to be wasting tax payers money on a lawsuit that they don't even use the patent and also if the patent applied for was to vague at the same time ( meaning they knew they were never going to really use it but they applied for it and some dumb ass stamped yes on it). Or
2) bring in the death penalty to cover this waste, greediness and dumb ass behavior.

Also for the real dumbass at the patent office who stamped yes to these, our ass is being shipped tonne same island. We pay you to do your job DO YOUR DUMB ASS JOB YOU DUMB ASS. That's all Im done,

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
They don't know what products specifically violate their patent, but that these products are being imported and sold locally. So sue the foreign companies that make them.

[citation][nom]TheHelix[/nom]Do we really need to know about all this? This is hardly newsworthy...[/citation]

It is newsworthy. Many of the companies that we rely on for new tech are being sued. If this goes poorly for them, it could affect us because the products of those companies might decline in supply or quality, or just stop production and not be made at all if they aren't in production yet.

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I "believe" Semcon is infringing upon my right to use a processing chip. Time for damages![/citation]

Good luck proving that you have a right to use a processing chip and that they will stop you from doing so. They would have a tough time stopping you from using chips that you already have and if Semcon doesn't go after TSMC, then you can still use their processing chips. It's a funny idea, but it does not work in the least.

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Good luck proving that you have a right to use a processing chip and that they will stop you from doing so. They would have a tough time stopping you from using chips that you already have and if Semcon doesn't go after TSMC, then you can still use their processing chips. It's a funny idea, but it does not work in the least.[/citation]

I clearly need to continue including the /s tag after everything, it seems.

G

It does sound more like Semcon tech is a subsidiary company of Semcon AB, a multinational manufacturing industry technology company, hardly a patent troll as such.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
To stop this trolling they need to make the defendant pay up front cost of investigations. If they win the suit they will be be refunded the cost plus damages. If they lose, all patents they have submitted will go under investigation and again, they will pay all cost. If during this process the company files for bankruptcy, all patents not yet reviewed become invalid. That should stop this in it's tracks!

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
if you go to the link and actually read what patent they have it doesn't make any sense to how intel, IBM, etc have breached their patent.
Not like patent trolls need any good reason, they just want a payout

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I understood that it was a joke. I just didn't think that it was a good one.[/citation]

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I clearly need to continue including the /s tag after everything, it seems.[/citation]

Some people seem to disagree with me, so I'll explain my reasoning. In it, you basically say that you have a right to use a processing unit, Whether or not you truly believe this was not the problem, it's just that there is no such right. I don't think that that is something to joke about in such a way, especially when they can't hamper it like you say in the joke and especially then when there are processing chips made by companies other than those being sued and even then, it appears that this lawsuit is based upon the assumption that these companies' products are finished in a process that involves a method that is patented by this company, so if they just change the way that they go about finishing their products, then this is solved.

I'm sorry if that offends you, but I can't see it as being funny. It's not even nit-picking at that point. There're just too many things that are wrong about it. Go ahead and thumbs down or flame all you want, but I fail to see how it was funny when it was completely wrong and even paints an unfair picture of the suing company. For all we know, Semcon has a valid claim. We don't know if the patent is valid. We don't know if any products of these companies use the CMP in question here. We also don't know that if both of these are true, whether or not this should be a case of prior art because we don't know if these companies were using this IP before the patent was filed. We don't know far too many factors that should be necessary to deciding the validity of this law suit. I think that we can all also admit that many of these companies could be willing to infringe on a patent.

I'm not arguing for or against either side, but I am saying that we should wait for more information before making a decision on this one. This article does not provide enough information to figure this one out properly.

Do you see my points about this and the joke?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]mugiebahar[/nom]I think in these cases they should,1) either take the troller and his family along with the lawyers involved and ship them to a deserted island if they are found to be wasting tax payers money on a lawsuit that they don't even use the patent and also if the patent applied for was to vague at the same time ( meaning they knew they were never going to really use it but they applied for it and some dumb ass stamped yes on it). Or2) bring in the death penalty to cover this waste, greediness and dumb ass behavior.Also for the real dumbass at the patent office who stamped yes to these, our ass is being shipped tonne same island. We pay you to do your job DO YOUR DUMB ASS JOB YOU DUMB ASS. That's all Im done,[/citation]
...just ship them to Pakistan or Iran.

Status
Not open for further replies.