Path of Exile Now in Open Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weps

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
They have different pets too: frogs, insects etc. One can also purchase different animations, skill and weapons effects, or additional stash tabs and character slots. Also, not on the shop at this time, but I believe they were planning on monetizing custom created leagues (ladders) where the creator can add special rules for that ladder only.

Axonn

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I was so sad when D3 launched. It was a huge disappointment for somebody like me who played D2 on and off for TEN YEARS. But then came PoE. And my life changed! THE BEST A-RPG EVER!!!

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Having a blast playing PoE so far. Would def say I like it more then the other ARPGs that have been released in the last few years.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
My only complaint about PoE is that, after playing Diablo III (and leaving soon after), the other game feels too much slow-paced. No flying rigidbodies, no exploding crates upon being hit, no impact from attacks and skills (compared to D3). Appart from that, it is the single best ARPG ever.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]salgado18[/nom]My only complaint about PoE is that, after playing Diablo III (and leaving soon after), the other game feels too much slow-paced. No flying rigidbodies, no exploding crates upon being hit, no impact from attacks and skills (compared to D3). Appart from that, it is the single best ARPG ever.[/citation]

You might be interested in Grim Dawn if you've heard of it.

To me, PoE is alright. It's dark and gritty, the spell combinations can be crazy at times but I just didn't like the passive skill tree. Instead of spending skill points, you dump them into a pinwheel of abilities with some that are "game changers". Not my cup of tea.

Better then D3, that is for sure.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I have been loving this game since I snagged a free closed beta key last weekend.

If you like action RPGs at all you should at least give it a chance. Its free!

As for Grim Dawn, I Kickstarted the game and am eagerly awaiting the beta release. Indie developers are willing to take the risks that turn into great games.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]I think I may like it, except there is no "map"[/citation]

No map as in the big overlay covering the screen? sure there is, just press tab, it switches from the mini map in the top right to the large overlay one. It does need to be more translucent though.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Games are always best during Beta then for some reason suck when released?!? I def hope PoE is the exception because I got bored right away with TL2 and Diablo 3 was fun until end game. Unfortunately for Diablo Blizzard chose Jay Wilson to Direct it and did so many things backwards.

PoE has the upper hand because its team can see what worked and what failed with Diablo and TL2. If PoE can make players feel epic and can pull off PvP then it will be successful.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The problem with "vanity items" (Costume changes, pets, animation changes, etc) is that they sell well initially while people arrange their character to look cool, but eventually those sales dry up. Most people don't want to buy new hats every week. Timed power ups and stat boosts have far better long term sales opportunities. I know that some people here don't understand the concept of businesses needing to make money, but a game that's constantly being updated and run needs a constant income from the player especially if it's free initially. Shops with vanity items only have been tried before and they just don't work. Please do prove me wrong with this game, it looks like a labor of love and I'd like to see it thrive.

amkronos

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Been liking PoE a lot so far. Didn't play closed beta, but if you ever played Diablo, or Torchlight you will be right at home in PoE. It's not newbie friendly that's for sure which I hope won't be their downfall. You could play 30 levels thinking you are doing something right and end up farked without paying for a lot of regret orbs.

No idea why a full respec orb isn't available from their store yet. Kind of silly for GGG to not make money off an obvious need.

G

1st the game is designed to feel slow from the start, as you grow in power the pace picks up as your stats start stacking... you go from feeling like riff-raff to feeling God-like... instead of simply starting like a God.

2nd... GGG have commented that providing an option to buy a full respec is almost pay-to-win, players could simply pay and switch builds to the current OP flavour of the month builds. More importantly, GGG also want players to be attached to their characters. Quests rewards give out about 20 respec points across the 3 levels and you can use the orbs as mentioned... but this means players can slowly evolve their characters, so that the changes form part of that character's history and journey.

:)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i played about 3 hours of it so far till i hit a bug that wouldn't let me leave the place i was, and i quit for the day.

i hate the level system with a passion...
the WORST final fantasy system implemented, is their cornerstone for their game... yea... not enthusiastic about that at all.

that said, they also have another final fantacy system that i like, the materia...

the porblem i have there is its kills, and not exp based for advancing it, im not far into the game yet, i dont think i even broke level 10, but if every gem you get starts at level 1, than you will be late in the game, and new gems will be absolutely useless.

i also despise this barter system, that forces you to keep currency in your inventory that you also use for trading, in a game that is all about loot whoreing...

again im not far enough in the game to give a real judgement of the game, but its what i see.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the WORST final fantasy system implemented, is their cornerstone for their game[/citation]
You forgot "in my opinion". I think the passive tree is fantastic.

PS. I'm guessing if you find a level 1 gem in later difficulties it will level up much more quickly than it would near the start of normal difficulty.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]amkronos[/nom]Been liking PoE a lot so far. Didn't play closed beta, but if you ever played Diablo, or Torchlight you will be right at home in PoE. It's not newbie friendly that's for sure which I hope won't be their downfall. You could play 30 levels thinking you are doing something right and end up farked without paying for a lot of regret orbs. No idea why a full respec orb isn't available from their store yet. Kind of silly for GGG to not make money off an obvious need.[/citation]

The game was made for "hardcore" players. Having an item like that is pay to win and caters to the "noobs". That's a big no no.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]You forgot "in my opinion". I think the passive tree is fantastic.PS. I'm guessing if you find a level 1 gem in later difficulties it will level up much more quickly than it would near the start of normal difficulty.[/citation]
no, 10 is widely considered the worst of level system of all the ff games, and i exclude ff 13 from that because that game was a failure on so many levels it wasn't even funny, granted some could make an argument for 8 being the worst, 8 was annoying, 8 punished you for using magic, but 8 was still doable without a strategy guide.

now, the gems leveling faster. they are based on per kills, not exp, and i do find it a mistake to do that because 1 kill on normal is in no way equal to one kill on the highest difficulty.

they could put into the game a system where certain enemies were worth more kills than others, and difficulties give a base kill multiplyer, but even than i don't like the way that system works, again, another system that is a cornerstone of the game

i can see the later game getting VERY frustrateing due to the socket system, but again, ill keep that opinion to myself as i havent played that far to really know.

[citation][nom]GNCD[/nom]The game was made for "hardcore" players. Having an item like that is pay to win and caters to the "noobs". That's a big no no.[/citation]

how is it pay to win, a hard core player knows the exact path they need to follow, while a noob doesn't.

after 20-30 hours, the noob realizes they screwed up making that 20-30 hours pointless because they have to restart, while the hardcore keeps on going without ever needing respec.

thats not a pay to win move.

Status
Not open for further replies.