Question Pathetic gaming performance - I5 - 12600KF / GTX 4070

Aug 20, 2024
Hello all,

After more than a decade playing on consoles I decided to build my own gaming PC. I bought and assembled it in mid-July, yet have consistently been underwhelmed by the performance.

My specs are:
- I5-12600KF (haven’t OC’ed it)
- G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
- MSI PRO B760-P WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
- Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
- Gigabyte GAMING OC V2 GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card
- Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
- Running on Win 11

I’ve been getting pretty consistently poor performance on nearly everything I’ve played on it.

Bear in mind I’m just playing things at 1080p as well because I decided against upgrading to a new 1440p 120hz monitor until I figure out what’s wrong with my system.

Retail WoW: with ray tracing off, SSAO and other settings set to ‘Fair’ I am getting 45-50 fps in many places with dips even lower in major cities.

Cyberpunk: Ray Tracing off, settings on high with some enhancements disabled, around 50fps.

Black Myth Wukong - Ray Tracing off, settings on ‘High’. Getting 30-35 fps with stuttering.

I am aware my rig is very ‘mid-range’ but my performance seems laughably bad.

I work for the next 9 hours but will follow up on suggestions and advice posted here as soon as I am able. Thank you anyone and everyone for any help you can give me whatsoever.

Aug 20, 2024
why would you get a b760? b stand for business

Did not know this. Just saw the reviews on PCpartpicker and figured it was a good price point and compatible with the rest of my build. Could it really be the mobo holding me back?

cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?

I will post the exact numbers tonight when I get home from work but they’ve never gotten even remotely high.

Could it really be the mobo holding me back?
No, it's not that. Motherboards really have next to no effect on things like FPS.

I've a system in the ballpark of yours (12400F, 32 GB, 6700XT 12 GB, 1080p) but unfortunately don't play any of those games so can't say if those FPS are poor or not.

If you think you're getting poor performance, I think the first thing to do is install and run GPU-Z and check that the PCIe speed of the card is running correctly (Bus Interface, on the right). You usually need to click the ? to make it place a load on the card for a correct reading. I'm pretty sure your card should be reading 4.0 x16.

Reactions: Ye_Auld_eNut
Aug 20, 2024
No, it's not that. Motherboards really have next to no effect on things like FPS.

I've a system in the ballpark of yours (12400F, 32 GB, 6700XT 12 GB, 1080p) but unfortunately don't play any of those games so can't say if those FPS are poor or not.

If you think you're getting poor performance, I think the first thing to do is install and run GPU-Z and check that the PCIe speed of the card is running correctly (Bus Interface, on the right). You usually need to click the ? to make it place a load on the card for a correct reading. I'm pretty sure your card should be reading 4.0 x16.

I will do this as soon as I get home. If it’s not correct would flashing the BIOS potentially fix my issue?