Patriot Joins M.2 Party With Ignite Series SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
Samsung has a feature in its Magician toolbox called Rapid that actually caches to DRAM, has intelligent adaptive algorithms, etc. The user just clicks a button and off they go :)

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
While I'm pleased to see more M.2 offerings, I'm disappointed that this is SATA instead of PCIe. I'm not sure I see the benefit to a different connector if it's still going to be capped at the same 560 MB/s that we've had for years.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
So this does not plug into the PCIe slot like NVMe?

I think I will hold on to my money until their is an NVMe slot on the motherboard.

NVMe is not a slot on the motherboard. NVMe is a protocol used over PCIe. The M.2 connector contain signals for PCIe 3.0, SATA 3.0, and USB 3.0. Therefore, an M.2 SSD could be PCIe with NVMe, PCIe with AHCI, or SATA with AHCI. This Patriot Ignite SSD uses the latter. The currently shipping Samsung SM951 uses PCIe with AHCI, and a supposedly soon-to-be-released Samsung SM951 will be PCIe with NVMe. All of them function in an M.2 slot.

Of course, the Intel 750 supports NVMe in a standard PCIe x4 slot, and you can spend your money on that today.

Status
Not open for further replies.