Patriot Memory's Torqx SSD Beats Intel's X25-M

Status
Not open for further replies.

deputc26

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Not conclusive, let's see 4k random writes. The article should read "Like all other Indilinx based SSDs the Torqx almost beats Intel"

I say almost because although Indilinx is faster at some things intel takes the cake overall and uses less power.

TheMan1214

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
At the very least even if the Indilinx doesn't beat the intel, it comes pretty close which lets me rest a little easier knowing that the competition is still there. i'm excited to see some more detailed tests

G

Doesn't anybody in Tomshardware read Anand's articles on Anandtech.com? It was the Anand who had the great influence on fixing Indilinx controller firmware while test OCZ SSD drives. It was him who found out the importance of random write of 4K blocks for the OS. What the hell is with these 256K blocks? Who cares about 256K blocks? If the upcoming SSD review from Tomshardware is like this, I am going to be upset about the quality of articles here...

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I am cah027 from the future and I have a message about storage tech...

There will be a completely different technology invented before SSD are perfected enough to become mainstream!

You will see!

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Anand has had some great SSD articles recently. I wish we could see that same quality here again. After reading the reviews about the Indilinx controller, I'm concerned with the slow down that some of the drives have experienced.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]deputc26[/nom]Not conclusive, let's see 4k random writes[/citation]
Did you read the last sentence?
Look for an in-depth review of the Torqx--with more detailed tests--in a future SSD roundup from Tom's Hardware

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]Satan[/nom]Doesn't anybody in Tomshardware read Anand's articles on Anandtech.com? It was the Anand who had the great influence on fixing Indilinx controller firmware while test OCZ SSD drives. It was him who found out the importance of random write of 4K blocks for the OS. What the hell is with these 256K blocks? Who cares about 256K blocks? If the upcoming SSD review from Tomshardware is like this, I am going to be upset about the quality of articles here...[/citation]
+1 for you. I agree

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]Satan[/nom]Doesn't anybody in Tomshardware read Anand's articles on Anandtech.com? It was the Anand who had the great influence on fixing Indilinx controller firmware while test OCZ SSD drives. It was him who found out the importance of random write of 4K blocks for the OS. What the hell is with these 256K blocks? Who cares about 256K blocks? If the upcoming SSD review from Tomshardware is like this, I am going to be upset about the quality of articles here...[/citation]
Sorry for the second post. I'd also like to add that it is/was Anand who changed the way SSDs are performing. Thanks to him we have drives like the Vertex and the Torqx. I dunno how much influence it had on Intel's drives though (not sure how involved he was with Intel).

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008

This isn't a full review. I posted this in news because I happened to have one, it's new, and figured some may like to at least see some numbers instead of useless press release.

Like I mentioned in the end, a real, more in-depth review of recent SSDs are in the works. :)

/ Tuan

rhys216

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Once you get over 10mb/s 4k random writes, further performance has little impact. I think the J-micron issue has people obsessing over 4k random writes when they are really not that important now performance is >10mb/s.
So to judge a drive a winner based on this metric alone is misguided.

4K reads on the other hand generally outnumber 4k writes greatly, so out of the two it's now the reads that are more important.

G

Still too expensive....
Say what you may, but the price is an issue for many...
And before many will want to switch over, they will want to see power consumption, and 4,8,16,32,64,and 128k random R/W speed graphs or tables.

Many see an SSD as a perfect replacement for the notebook to extend battery life while boosting overall performance, others see SSD's as good drives to boost desktop performance considerably without really caring about power consumption.
And for still others power consumption matters, but speed matters more (those aiming to pair those SSD's in the server market).

I think there must be a clear distinction between these 3 fields where SSD's aim enter the market.
This article might be a cheaper version of the second category: Desktop replacements (As I think SLC drives still offer best performance, and are mostly aimed for the server market).

peacock

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
You idiots posting about Anand's article. Yes it was a fantastic article. But you should give credit where credit is due: it was PC Perspective that found out this issue with 4K writes on the original Intel drives. And Indilinx has been around for more than this SSD issue. Get your facts straight before pulling out an example to bash the author here. Besides, it's not a full review, and it's posted in the news section.

At least he included some numbers in a news article, which is more than other news articles. So he gave us more than usual, and indicated that a formal review would come later and you morons still bashed it. So why not just tell him to go back to his old way of writing Mac news then? You want that??

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Honestly, I still want an Intel SSD.

Howeverm I love competition. Hopefully this will force Intel to make something to completely own it. $2/gig and 300mb/s random write anyone?

Harvey13

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
For those of you waiting for price reductions let me tell you about my first harddrive:
SCSI 40MB (yes that's megabytes) 5.25" half-height drive cost me over $380 and don't even ask me about its speed, all my other friends were jealous 'cause they only had 10 or 20MB drives in their Amigas. PC's didn't even have IDE drives back then and most computer had less RAM than the L2 Cache in most of today's CPU's... ehhh what you say sonny boy???

OldCodeToad

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Harvey13[/nom]For those of you waiting for price reductions let me tell you about my first harddrive:SCSI 40MB (yes that's megabytes) 5.25" half-height drive cost me over $380 and don't even ask me about its speed, all my other friends were jealous...[/citation]

Oh Harvey, you bring back awful memories! It was grad school, and the choice was grade papers of BoBo The Freshman or learn to program around my professor's strange ideas about what could and could not be done in this lifetime. Mumps, fortran, bloody asm, and ML. Whole programs in Kbytes, very small Kbytes! All this on a PDP11/73. Then the world changed and God or Ken Olson, or the NIH, bestowed upon us a MicroVAX with 40MB hard disk. The invoice price for that HD was something like $5,500. What strange days we've lived through.

Status
Not open for further replies.