Patriot Viper 3 RAM

XwolborgX

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Hello.
Well I recently(December) bought my parts for a budget computer, for some gaming like DayZ, and other games that I havent played before like Dead Space, Starcraft 2, etc. I had an old processor with my old PC, an AMD Athlon II X2 240e, that processor only handles the 1066 speed of the memory when I bought the parts I just needed the processor but I used that one while I had money to buy the processor(an FX 6300).
This month I had the money and I order it online and got delivered just this monday. I got it in my new PC(the one I bought all the parts i.e. case, MoBo, RAM, PSU, Video Card,etc.) applied thermal paste put on the CM 212 Evo and when I boot it, it wont boot.
I was shocked, I work on the IT Dept of my school and we started checking what was wrong because I was inserting the processor over there. We boot the PC with Hirenz and checked it with Memtest first, and to our surprise there were a lot of errors in the memory. I was thinking, why there are errors if the other processor was running absolutely fine and never had problems. We checked reducing the speed again to 1066 and booted fine.

So what we know is that these memory(that I dont know why they got removed or discontinued or whatever) Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV38G160C9KRD cant run at 1600 speed. I was checking and emailed patriot support and one told me that I needed to put the voltage to 1.60-1.65 so the system stabilizes because they were supposed to be Intel(but when I bought them it clearly said Intel and AMD), didnt worked. I use this Mobo MSI 760GM-P34(FX) AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with the FX 6300(I know that its better with a 990 fx I will buy it later, but right now the Mobo its fine, BIOS updated, everything) and it has some nice options to overclock whatever I need but I dont know what to do to make it run fine at 1600 or even 1333 because I tried 1333 and I got alot of BSODs.

If everyone can help me I would be greatly thankful. Thanks.

MSI 760GM-P34(FX) AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Socket: AM3+
Chipset: AMD 760G
Memory support: 2×240pin DDR3 1066/1333/1600/1866*(OC)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130657

Accordint to that information, the motherboard supports up to 1600Mhz RAM at normal Clock speed.. and the Patriot Viper DDR3 is 1600Mhz and works with 1.5V so you need to ajust the BIOS to 1.5 V

It may be using the RAM at 1066Mhz because that's what the Athlon II X 2 240e supports and the BIOS has probably not detected the processor change... Try resetting the BIOS... and later check if the BIOS memory voltage is at 1.5 V and adjust it as necessary... also adjust the RAM speed to Automatic or 1600Mhz

XwolborgX

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

Thanks for the answer but I/we(the guys in the IT dept) already did that. the volt was always 1.5 and we reseted the BIOS because we changed something and didnt wanted to boot so we reset it and yes is auto but if its auto(1600) the PC gets BSOD also in 1333 I get a BSOD

How did you reset the BIOS:
- reset it to optimal defaults?
- erase BIOS settings with the jumper?
- erase BIOS settings without the battery?
- Have you updated the Chipset drivers?

have you checked the CPU BIOS settings:
- is it in automatic or manual?
- is it being recognised by the BIOS/OS as a FX 6300 with full specifications?
http://www.c-integration.com/products/specs.php/393-fx-6300
- have you tried slightly overclocking the CPU to observe any changes?

- Do the RAM modules have the specs on it on a sticker?
- is it possible you didn't get 1600Mhz RAM but 1066Mhz?
- was the packaging closed, no chance it was previously opened?

XwolborgX

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

- reset it to optimal defaults? Yes
- erase BIOS settings with the jumper? Yes we did it because we moved something and didnt wanted to boot xD
- erase BIOS settings without the battery? No
- Have you updated the Chipset drivers? Yes I updated everything it has the BIOS 17.13 latest to date(12-14-2012)

- is it in automatic or manual? Automatic
- is it being recognised by the BIOS/OS as a FX 6300 with full specifications? Yes recognized and also running at 3.8 with the turbo core
- have you tried slightly overclocking the CPU to observe any changes? No, right now is using the turbo core auto at 3.8 not at 3.5

-Do the RAM modules have the specs on it on a sticker? No
- is it possible you didn't get 1600Mhz RAM but 1066Mhz? No, if I put on auto speed the BIOS says its running at 1600 speed
- was the packaging closed, no chance it was previously opened? Yes it was completely sealed

OK, the next step is to reset or erase the BIOS removing the battery for at least 10 minutes to make sure all previous settings are erased.. some old setting may be causing the problem.

- Have you updated the Chipset drivers? Yes I updated everything it has the BIOS 17.13 latest to date(12-14-2012)

OK, you say "everything" as in supposedly... then you say the BIOS, I'm talking about the Chipset, Nortbridge and Southbridge drivers.... see if this AMD 700 series chipset update helps. I selected the download for Windows 7 so select the right OS if it's not Win7..
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#2

- have you tried slightly overclocking the CPU to observe any changes? No, right now is using the turbo core auto at 3.8 not at 3.5

So, it is slightly overclocked (automatically) which is what I had in mind and about to suggest.

- is it possible you didn't get 1600Mhz RAM but 1066Mhz? No, if I put on auto speed the BIOS says its running at 1600 speed
- was the packaging closed, no chance it was previously opened? Yes it was completely sealed

OK, so I don't see a problem there... I was suspecting you may have received the wrong RAM speed, that is was possibly in the wrong packaging, but if the BIOS reads it correctly, then that is not the case.

So check to follow are:
- Remove the BIOS battery so it's reset back to factory defaults
- See if you already have the latest 1/17/2013 chipset updates
- Other than that, check that after the reset, the BIOS is set to Automatic detection of CPU and RAM, and check the RAM is perfectly seated on the slots... if nothing helps, the only possible conclusion is you got bad RAM, and the memtestmcheck seems to point to that.
- See if you can borrow a couple of DDR3 1333 or 1600 sticks to define if Patriot RAM is the problem. If that's not possible the next step would be to exchange it for another brand of RAM... the price difference may be just a few bucks more.

XwolborgX

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

OK, the next step is to reset or erase the BIOS removing the battery for at least 10 minutes to make sure all previous settings are erased.. some old setting may be causing the problem.

OK, you say "everything" as in supposedly... then you say the BIOS, I'm talking about the Chipset, Nortbridge and Southbridge drivers.... see if this AMD 700 series chipset update helps. I selected the download for Windows 7 so select the right OS if it's not Win7..
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownl [...] ows.aspx#2

So, it is slightly overclocked (automatically) which is what I had in mind and about to suggest.

OK, so I don't see a problem there... I was suspecting you may have received the wrong RAM speed, that is was possibly in the wrong packaging, but if the BIOS reads it correctly, then that is not the case.

So check to follow are:
- Remove the BIOS battery so it's reset back to factory defaults
- See if you already have the latest 1/17/2013 chipset updates
- Other than that, check that after the reset, the BIOS is set to Automatic detection of CPU and RAM, and check the RAM is perfectly seated on the slots... if nothing helps, the only possible conclusion is you got bad RAM, and the memtestmcheck seems to point to that.
- See if you can borrow a couple of DDR3 1333 or 1600 sticks to define if Patriot RAM is the problem. If that's not possible the next step would be to exchange it for another brand of RAM... the price difference may be just a few bucks more.

well i upgraded the chipset and everything is on auto I dont think removing the cmos battery would help but I'll do it later because I have been very busy lately with midterms and classes. Thanks for the help if with the CMOS battery doesnt gets fixed well I'll buy another ram when they go down in prices because they are very expensive right now.