Paul ryan's new budget proposal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

riser

Illustrious
Wow John, I can't believe you actually believe what you're saying.

I used to travel heavily on airlines and I can assure you that 9/11 had a significant impact on their business model.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

The employment and growth were facades! How can you not understand that it was only temporary and unsustainable, and that it masked the true problems our economy was facing? It only lead to us shooting ourselves in the foot later on, yet you think that it proves that Bush was somehow a great president in regards to the economy? On top of that you think I'm brainwashed? REALLY?!?!?

I'm not a truther, I meant that the fact that we fear Al Qaeda is truly sad, the greatest country on earth and people are shaking in their boots at the sound of their name, that's the real crime, fearing a bunch of backwater terrorists. I will take one of those foil hats though, wouldn't want those pesky psychics reading my mind.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

I will admit that it hurt them some because of decreased travel, but they were already in an unsustainable situation with their business structure, too much competition, something had to give with or without the terrorist attacks. I can't believe that you do not understand this riser, I thought you were more inclined toward business and would understand the underlying factors within the industry.

riser

Illustrious
Airline travel decreased heavily for at least two years after 9/11. I can't remember how many half-full flights I was on. Flights started getting stupid cheap just to fill them. They have to operate an almost full flight to even make a profit.

Business travel is probably 85-90% of all travel. With the additional screening and additional costs of renovating all their airports, reinforcing all their aircraft and all that additional burden hurt them significantly.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Theres small small kernals of truth in what youre saying, but theyre dwarfed by what OMG is saying, and it was played to the extreme, and still is by the MSM.
Certain new regulations could help, true.
Housing bubble, a huge crisis, something near the level of Obamacare, and if that should go wrong.....
People dying from murderers is important when you bring up 911, as they must be put to justice, or should we just ignore this?
I think you need to turn your focus a little, and allow for a better balance of ideas

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2011/11/dish-check-update-who-caused-the-financial-collapse.html

It really was a collection of stupidity all around, quite blaming it on the government alone, although they were partly responsible.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

It was a failure of all parties involved to see the ramifications of the process they had initiated. Increasing loans to those who could not afford it, partially because the government wanted them to loosen up a bit to prevent discrimination and partially because the banks would immediately sell it off to a GSE and not have to worry about it. Partially the GSE's fault for not seeing the trend of high risk loans building up to unsustainable levels and also a lack of oversight from congress, at least Bush did try to make it an issue.

Quit attacking me personally OMG and at least express some reasonable point. The comment was more of a broad statement about the link, I'm guessing that you didn't even bother looking at it.

riser

Illustrious
I'm for it. I'm rich. I worked hard to get rich and now I can become even more prosperous and benefit the economy more. Poor people are there by choice based on their decisions and provide little economic stimulation.

riser

Illustrious
So when it was written up under those conditions it sounded good. The conditions have changed and it no longer sounds good. Fair argument to say it would no longer work.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

It did say there at the end that Ryan had his own expert as well, but didn't really quote anything she said other than she disagreed with the other guy.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Just fabrications that is what Ryan is about. Saving medicare a joke ! His budget will bring more of a deficit than anything not a savings at all.Repeal the health care law why because he wants to privatize it and seniors should start getting vouchers to pay for it.Ryan is a joke!

riser

Illustrious

Because at the time it was written it may have worked. Since then with other laws being passed and information being released, the situation has changed and the idea is no longer feasible apparently. You write something up a year ago and expect it to be relevant today when no actions have been taken to move it forward? If Obamacare hadn't passed, maybe it would be relevant for example. The government is dynamic in that is it constantly changing and creating new laws which changes how things work.