[SOLVED] Pay for 200mbps (Spectrum) but only get a download speed of about 70?

Aug 22, 2019
Alright so I pay for 200mbps, and when I connect my cat6 Ethernet cable from my router’s gigabit port to my pc’s Ethernet port and run a speed test, my download speed is always about 70. I even tried connecting the cable to a laptop, same result. When I check the status of my Ethernet from the windows settings, it says that the negotiated speed is 1.0gb. I know I’m not going to get the full gig of speed but I should be getting close to 200, right?The cable I use to connect my modem to my router is a cat5e cable by the way. And also, my modem is a netgear CM600 and my router is a net feat nighthawk r6700v3, and both are definitely capable of going past a download speed of 70. Does the issue have to do with my ISP or something? Sorry if this seems a little messy.

Solution
Yes I would call them. They can look at the modem remotely and see if there is anything strange.

This tends to be why whenever I have a new internet installed I am always there and ask the tech to take his pc and run speedtest.

You want to run speedtest against the ISP site if you have one in your city. They will try to blame the server you pick......it can be a valid things since all speedtest servers do not perform the same.
If you really want to test your cables and equipment you can run IPERF and transfer data between 2 machines inside your house. You should get over 900mbps in most cases.

I would try a direct connection to the modem. You will likely have to power cycle the modem with nothing plugged into it and then plug your PC. You will have to do the same when you switch back to the router.

In most cases you should get slightly above the rates the ISP quoted. They have gotten much better about delivering the actual speeds they promise. Sometime they over sell the network but then you would get good rates say early in the morning and only have trouble during the prime hours.

Not sure I would suspect errors on the connection if it does the same with only the modem. If the modem is ok then try to factory reset the router and only configure the admin and wifi passwords. There are many features in routers that will bottleneck, like vpn most will be lucky to get 30-40mbps.

Aug 22, 2019
Power Cycled the modem, and plugged it into my pc, 73 this time. I also reset the router, same results. So this means that my router is not at fault, and that spectrum should be called. Correct?

Yes I would call them. They can look at the modem remotely and see if there is anything strange.

This tends to be why whenever I have a new internet installed I am always there and ask the tech to take his pc and run speedtest.

You want to run speedtest against the ISP site if you have one in your city. They will try to blame the server you pick......it can be a valid things since all speedtest servers do not perform the same.

Solution