(PAYDAY 2) G-Sync 144hz Issue...

stavrosmast

Honorable
So... I used v sync on and g sync on and highest hz available in the nvidia panel

Whatever i use in game it is limited to 60fps...

If I turn off v sync in the nv panel and whatever in game it reaches higher fps but it has tearing all over the place..

Any fix?

vsync is clearly why you were previously capped to 60 FPS.

Your display's gsync feature should prevent any screen tearing. Gsync can only work through DisplayPort. Any chance that you're using HDMI, and thereby bypassing the gsync feature? Gsync will not allow your monitor to exceed it's native or overclocked refresh rate. If you're above 144 Hz, then that is a clear indication that gsync is not enabled for some reason.

stavrosmast

Honorable
First off

G sync operates from lowest fps imaginable-till your monitor's refresh rate aka 144hz here.. So nvidia intends g sync to be used with v sync in the panel and off in the game to prevent tearing if you reach the 145fps territory.. It is obv displayport... Also g sync allows you to go over the 144fps mark..

stavrosmast

Honorable
I used Fast sync in the v sync options just for testing and it allowed it to go over the 60fps previous cap but it ran horrible due to payday2 optimization and the fact that payday2 used my 4 core 100% and the others not as much.. I even un parked my cores and turned off any energy saving option in the windows power saving settings AND c-states etc in bios.. nothing

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not to ask a silly question, but are you running 144hz on the desktop? If not V-sync will cap it to whatever it is set to.

G-sync does have some lower end range issues, but it simply switches to adaptive sync below 40FPS I believe. (I've never tried it so, not 100% sure, everything I run certainly keeps it above 60)

I think we had a misunderstanding. G-sync will not allow you to exceed the native (or overclocked) refresh of your display, which in your case is 144 Hz. For example, if your display was 165 Hz, then g-sync would not allow you to exceed that frame rate.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
For G-sync to work you have to do a few things.

1. Make sure the monitors settings are correct both in the system and on the monitor itself.

2. Make sure the monitors settings are correct in the NCP.

3. Make sure you are using a DP cable as G-sync does not work with anything else.

4. Make sure G-sync is on and that it is set up for Windowed and Fullscreen in the NCP.

5. Make sure V-sync is ON in the NCP.

6. Make sure whatever game you are playing is set to the correct refresh rate and any fps limiters are turned off.

7. Make sure V-sync is disabled in the game itself.

G-sync is an adaptive form of V-sync that eliminates tearing by syncing the monitors refresh rate to the GPU's render rate. V-sync syncs the render rate to a value divisible by the monitors refresh rate. In either case going above the monitors refresh rate will produce tearing as the GPU is rendering frames faster than the monitor can display them.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

That is not correct.

G-sync on with V-sync off will operate in G-sync mode up to the set refresh rate, be it 144hz or 165hz. After that point it disables syncing and will produce as many frames as the GPU can handle.

G-sync on with V-sync on operates as you say. This is a feature they added to the drivers around the time the G-sync 2.0 module was released. (or at least that is when I became aware of the option, might have come out earlier)

Eximo you may be right. I was repeating what Nvidia and EVGA tech support confirmed to me today. However, it's possible that technicians from both companies were misinformed; no sarcasm intended. Do you have any documentation of this new implementation of G-sync 2.0?

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
You're both technically right.

G-sync when used properly does not allow you to go over the monitor's refresh rate due to the "G-sync aware" version of V-sync, however, using G-sync with V-sync off in the NCP allows you to exceed the monitor's refresh rate but will produce tearing.

EpIckFa1LJoN I hear you. I'd be fine with being wrong, as long as we arrive at the truth of the matter. I own an Acer XB271HU, and it will not produce more than the overclocked 165 FPS of it's panel, with g-sync enabled. I have always disabled v-sync in game, but it never occurred to me to look for that setting in the Nvidia control panel.

Googling Pay Day 2 and screen tearing produces a verbose list of similar screen tearing forum posts. Clearly it's a common problem. I've yet to come across any game that produces screen tearing on this monitor, but again in my case, my refresh is steady at 165 Hz with g-sync enabled.

stavrosmast

Honorable
Let me read through all this. I read at many places too that after the 144fps mark on a 144hz display g sync will let it start tearing.. thats why nvidia reccomends you run g sync on with v sync on at the nv panel but off in the game... Due to having an i5-4460 with an oc'd 1070 I at the moment cant test over 144fps for some games..

Yes I have done everything mentioned above in the (1,2,3 etc)

Its a Dell S2716DG A07 Revision with the response time set to normal and the payday 2 patch that arrived today..

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

The name given to the G-Sync modules that support HDMI as a second output as far as I know. The original module only had the display port.

I assume the latest version is the one in those new 4K 144hz panels with HDR.

Not sure if they have official names, but I'm sure they have distinct part numbers.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Only so many different settings to try. Perhaps a clean install of the Nvidia drivers to get everything set back to default, install the latest monitor drivers if you haven't, set your desktop to 144hz or 165hz, turn on G-sync for both Windowed and Full Screen, try both modes in your games. I prefer V-sync on so the GPU doesn't have excess coil whine when it really starts to pump out frames, you can try both. (I have found several games that only work in full screen windowed mode with G-sync, I got subpar performance in full screen mode)

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

The latest Nvidia drivers have thrown a lot of things out of whack too, though. It may just be the driver itself.

Biggest example I have is that I used to be able to run WoW in Windowed (Fullscreen) mode with no issues, now WoW has some stuttering to it for some reason, forcing me to run in Fullscreen mode, which for whatever reason is lowering my FPS slightly as compared to W(F). In addition, playing video (Netflix or Youtube) in Fullscreen mode (on my secondary monitor), with games in W(F) makes the game completely ignore G-sync and it goes way over the cap, but looks as if it is playing at 30-40fps.

Again, in Fullscreen mode it works completely fine, and in W(F) with video not in fullscreen it runs perfectly fine except for some stuttering at least in WoW (Farcry 5, specifically works fine no video in either mode)

WoW also crashes on startup a lot too, randomly.

Worked perfectly fine in W(F) video or no video before I updated my drivers.

A lot of other people reporting issues with G-sync and new drivers in WoW recently. Could be a similar situation with Payday

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I had problems with WoW a few years ago. Electronic noise on my discrete sound card when high frame rates were demanded. Just had to put it at 60hz.

CryEngine games give me the most trouble with Fullscreen mode. It does seem like 30-40FPS when it isn't working right.