[SOLVED] Paying for 1Gbps and only getting ~90Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2019
I'm currently paying for 1Gbps and only getting ~90Mbps on a wired connection and about the same on wireless.

My Router: WNDR4500 - N900
My Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

I'm using a brand new cat6 ethernet cable, so I don't see that being an issue.

Send help.

Solution
It says 1Gbps, but still I'm only getting 90Mbps.
This may not work but you can still try it.
Take aluminium foil and a glass of olive oil, squeeze a green lime and a lemon into the Glas then put the Glas on the aluminium foil and put the router on the left side(!) of the aluminium foil.
Circle the construct for exactly 14 minutes and make sure the curtains are yellowish and closed. The door closed and there should be no knife in the room. Turn your back to the construct and walk around it as stated above.

Worked for my co-worker on the third try. She said I should've been more clear about the left side thing.
That speed almost always means you have a cable that is only running at 100mbps. When you allow for some of he overhead you get a number in the low to mid 90mbps. It would be different if you got say 50mbps or 110mbps but 90 almost always means a cable issue.

See what you port on your pc is running. I think it displays in the status. It should show gigabit. Your router may or may not have the ability to show the port speeds. You need to see if both the lan and wan cables are running gigabit.

Just because the cable is new does not mean it is defective. Bad cables also run on some machine and not other at differnet speeds. Be very sure it is not a fake cable they have much more issue. Cable must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cable).

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
As others stated, check your components. Your switch, NIC (network interface card in the computer /device), your router settings, your cables.
Its easy to forget those. You have gigabit+ stuff but in the end you notice that your switch is only 100mbps.

Theres also the possibility of ISP fault / ignorance. Check everything and ensure the providers "site" as well

I'm currently paying for 1Gbps
-yes, I see you say so, but.. are you sure? I ask that because 1Gbps internet speed is still considered as kinda "luxury" (expensive) in many countries -and your actual speed is more in 100Mbps range.
You ever actually had about 900Mbps before? Or you switched to 1Gbps recently?
You tried to connect PC directly to modem?

Last edited:
Same result.
In windows do this test and go to network connections and right click your wired interface and click status see if its 1Gbs or 100Mbs. cat5 cables only do 100 you would want cat5e or better. if you're testing with the same cable that goes from modem to router that would make sense that you never get over 100. some switches/routers have indicator lights on each port that show 100 or 1000.

That router is really slow, it's an N900 and the NAT controller might not even be able to do more than 90mbps.

Also, I had a similar issue with Comcast when I went to gigabit. The firmware image they had for my TPlink Docsis 3.0 modem was only capable of 300mbps at most, but even with TPLINKS documentation it's supposed to work at 630mbps with comcast. I was on with their tech support for quite a while and they couldn't figure it out. So I went out and bought a Motorola Docsis 3.1 modem and was able to get full gigabit speed.

TLDR: You need to get better equipment.

Jan 13, 2019
In windows do this test and go to network connections and right click your wired interface and click status see if its 1Gbs or 100Mbs. cat5 cables only do 100 you would want cat5e or better. if you're testing with the same cable that goes from modem to router that would make sense that you never get over 100. some switches/routers have indicator lights on each port that show 100 or 1000.

Jan 13, 2019
That router is really slow, it's an N900 and the NAT controller might not even be able to do more than 90mbps.

Also, I had a similar issue with Comcast when I went to gigabit. The firmware image they had for my TPlink Docsis 3.0 modem was only capable of 300mbps at most, but even with TPLINKS documentation it's supposed to work at 630mbps with comcast. I was on with their tech support for quite a while and they couldn't figure it out. So I went out and bought a Motorola Docsis 3.1 modem and was able to get full gigabit speed.

TLDR: You need to get better equipment.
The router is advertised for Gigabit LAN, but I'll look into this, thanks!

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Take aluminium foil and a glass of olive oil, squeeze a green lime and a lemon into the Glas then put the Glas on the aluminium foil and put the router on the left side(!) of the aluminium foil.
Circle the construct for exactly 14 minutes and make sure the curtains are yellowish and closed. The door closed and there should be no knife in the room. Turn your back to the construct and walk around it as stated above.

Worked for my co-worker on the third try. She said I should've been more clear about the left side thing.

Solution
Jan 13, 2019

I'll definitely give this a shot if it worked for your co-worker haha.

Reactions: ikernelpro4
Status
Not open for further replies.