[SOLVED] PC abruptly shuts off while under load - - - i9-9900k ?

Dec 8, 2022
Hi everyone,
For about a month now my computer has been abruptly shutting off when playing games. At first I figured this was a power supply issue, however after running OCCT I found that the PSU was fine, but there were over a hundred reported CPU errors. I figured that the AI OC I was just unstable, however after resetting my bios settings to default the issue persisted. I then attempted to do a manual OC which also did not work although admittivity I have little experience when it comes to overclocking. After these repeated failures I decided to visually assess my CPU, after removing it I noticed nothing wrong with the CPU itself, however I did notice an odd looking area on the CPU socket of the motherboard and after using my phones zoom I noticed that a line of pins were bent, two of which were bent severely. I got them back in line with the other pins to the best of my ability, however they were still warped.

After putting my PC back together everything turned on and operated as it should for about an hour, I thought I had fixed the problem however, an hour of gaming later, it shut off. Which brings us to now, I don't know how to move forward. If I, a novice were to guess, I would figure that this issue is due to the warped pins I previously mentioned, if so I guess I will be needing a new motherboard. Is there anything I can do to make sure this is actually the issue, and are there any other things I am missing that could cause this problem? I would hate to buy a new motherboard when I don't have to. My PC specs are as follows:

i9-9900k (with corsair AIO)
RTX 2080 Ti
64gb of DDR4
NVME SSD as the boot drive
Corsair HX-850I PSU

Two things to keep in mind is that my PC will run fine so long as there are no intense processes running, so it can browse the web and play YouTube videos with no crashing. Also my BIOS is up to date. I would greatly appreciate any help you all are able to give.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
Simple answer, if I see bent pins on the board(that I caused), I'd be looking at a new board(either RMA , after explaining my predicament to board maker and seller, or a new purchase).

Lutfij

Titan
corsair AIO
Corsair have a number of AIO's, which one do you have? How is the AIO oriented in your chassis? Try and relieve some stress from the cooling mount with an anti-clockwise turn for each screw holding the cooler down.

I noticed that a line of pins were bent, two of which were bent severely. I got them back in line with the other pins to the best of my ability, however they were still warped.
That might be very well the issue for your build. Here's a pinout of the processor.

I would hate to buy a new motherboard when I don't have to.
You will need to replace the motherboard with a similar make/model if the pins are beyond salvaging. If you don't have steady hands and you've tried permutations of angles for straightening the pins in the right way as the ones next to it, then you've run your course.

Speaking of which, what is the make and model of the board you're working with?

Reactions: CompuTronix
Dec 8, 2022
Thanks for replying,
I took some pressure off the cooling mount as suggested, however it did not fix my issue. I have a corsair H115i Pro with the radiator installed on top of the chassis which has done fine for three years so I doubt that is the issue. I use an ASUS Z390-E motherboard and the pins that are damaged according to the chart are the VCCGT pins and there is no way I can get them back to their normal shape, they are far too bent. Lastly I did find a way to stop the crashing and that was to bring my core clock down to 3.6GHz with no boost. Obviously not preferable, but it did work. Although if handicapping my PC by dropping clocks is the only solution for this problem I guess I will be buying a new motherboard. Given this information what in your opinion would be the best course of action for me to take? Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot this problem. or is it better to call it a day and get a new board?

Thanks in advance