Question PC Artifacts and Crashes After GPU RMA

Oct 3, 2022
Hello all,
My PC has been experiencing an artifacting and crashing issue for 3 months now. It all started after I moved to a new city. At first, the artifacting would happen occasionally and crash. At this point, I am lucky if it doesn’t crash and artifact within a few minutes of starting the computer. Along with this, when I turn the PC back on it turns off and on multiple times before it can get to the bios/windows.

So far this is what I have done to try to resolve these issues:
  • Replaced PSU with my old Corsair
  • Brought my PC to Micro Center for Diagnostics
    • I was told all hardware was fine and to fresh install the software including windows. This did not resolve the issue
  • Tried a new MOBO and CPU
    • I have since returned the MOBO and CPU since it seemed to not be an issue.
  • Tried a Different GPU
    • I was not experiencing any issues but I only tested it out for 2 hours.
  • Sent the GPU to MSI for RMA.
    • After the card came back from the RMA, I had a crash and artifact after an hour or two. Following this I turned down the core and memory clock in after burner. I played games for around 14 hours until the same symptoms came back in full force.
I have never overclocked my PC and ensure that the temps never reach a concerning level.
My worry is that there is a component causing damage to my PC, specifically the GPU, since the card that went through RMA relieved the issues for a short time. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated as I am completely stumped on how to resolve these issues.

PC Specs:
GPU: MSI 3070
Motherboard: 365M D3sh
CPU: I7 9700F
RAM: OLOy UDIMM (MD4U0826190BB1DA)
PSU: Corsair 650W – around 8 years old now.

Oct 3, 2022
From all of this, the 8 y/o PSU is the likely culprit. What PSU were you using before the Corsair?

It was a thermaltake tough power gx2 700w 80 plus gold. It was less than 2 years old. I replaced this pretty early on in the troubleshooting process. Perhaps both PSUs were failing.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It was a thermaltake tough power gx2 700w 80 plus gold. It was less than 2 years old. I replaced this pretty early on in the troubleshooting process. Perhaps both PSUs were failing.
I am not a fan of TT PSUs, nor are many of the other moderators. Your old Corsair is the likely issue. PSUs can and do degrade over time.

Honestly, I recommend you purchase a quality PSU and install it and then go from there.

Oct 3, 2022
I am not a fan of TT PSUs, nor are many of the other moderators. Your old Corsair is the likely issue. PSUs can and do degrade over time.

Honestly, I recommend you purchase a quality PSU and install it and then go from there.
Got it, well thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Oct 3, 2022

Unfortunately I am still getting the symptoms I listed even after installing a new Corsair PSU. I will continue to troubleshoot and give an update if the problem gets resolved.