[SOLVED] PC Audio System Configuration

Robox

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2014
I would need an opinion on the configuration of the PC audio system.

Usage is gaming and high quality music. (Stereo).

The sound card will be a Sound Blaster Z or an Sound BlasterX G5.

The speakers are a Bose Acoustimass 7 (2.1) system.

The headphones are Superlux HD681 EVO.

Also I have an old Technics SU-V40 amplifier.

1) I would like to know if in your opinion using this amplifier will make a difference in the audio performance, both of the speakers and of the headphones, or if it is better to connect everything to the PC sound card.

2) In my configuration, which is better between the Sound Blaster Z and Sound BlasterX G5?

3) If I choose the blasterX, how do I connect it to the amplifier which is analog (it has RCA input)?

Solution
Either sound card would be great with the headphones, with the Z being a bit easier to connect to the old amp via analog L/R (where the GX5 only has the analog headphone out).

1 - headphones directly to the sound card, analog L/R output to the old amp & speakers

2 - I would go for the Z just to have the better connectivity options, unless you need the portability of the GX5

3 - a 3.5mm / RCA adapter like this one, will work for both the Z (line-out) and GX5 (headphone out)
Either sound card would be great with the headphones, with the Z being a bit easier to connect to the old amp via analog L/R (where the GX5 only has the analog headphone out).

1 - headphones directly to the sound card, analog L/R output to the old amp & speakers

2 - I would go for the Z just to have the better connectivity options, unless you need the portability of the GX5

3 - a 3.5mm / RCA adapter like this one, will work for both the Z (line-out) and GX5 (headphone out)

Reactions: Robox
Solution
Bose Acoustimass 7 are not powered speakers, so you will need the Technics receiver you have to power them. Aux out from the sound card to Aux in on the receiver. You are probably going to be just fine using the onboard audio vs getting an add-on sound card, those Bose speakers are not really good for clarity and what you run them on does not matter much. Headphones may benefit but I doubt you will be able to tell much, if any, difference.

What you may benefit from is a USB Dac/amp with headphone and aux out connections so you can keep the receiver and headphones running without swapping inputs or disconnecting things. I use the FX-Audio DAC 6, runs my speakers from the aux output, with a separate volume for the headphones, sits on your desk so easy to reach to connect things (say if you have multiple headphones at some point). You can see it on the left on my desk here

vf4AdSQ.jpg

Reactions: Robox

Robox

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2014
Ok, clear.
Therefore, for my audio system, for a prevalent use of video games, in order to improve the sound of the sound card integrated into the motherboard a little, I understand that a DAC is useless; instead, between a Z and a G5 which one should I choose?