Question PC black screen when i install gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2022
I am experiencing a weird black screen issue where if i plug in my gpu, my pc runs but with black screens and all my peripherals (keyboard and mouse lighting) turned off. 1 monitor plugged in the motherboard via display port and the other monitor plugged in the gpu via displayport.
No logo or even a chance to get into the bios.
Complete black screen

However, once i remove my gpu from the pcie slot and turn my pc on again, my peripherals turn on and the system boots to windows with no issues.

This started to happen when i finished my new build where I decided to upgrade my rig from a i7-7700k to a i9-10990k. For that i also needed to change my motherboard and i chose the gigabyte z590m gaming x.

I used to run a seasonic 850w psu but i changed it for a corsair rm850x instead as i did not have a 2nd cpu cable from the seasonic psu to the new motherboard that needed a 8+4 connection.

It started weird after my build with an issue where the motherboard kept restarting every 5 seconds and gave me a black screen. I fixed this as someone suggested to install windows with the gpu unplugged and that got me in my first bios screen for this motherboard.
After installing windows, getting to the desktop and letting it update with all it windows security glory. I turned off my pc and installed the gpu. However then the black screen issue started happening.

I always update my bios on a new build.

I tried starting in safe mode so that i can install the nvidia drivers and then deactivate the intel drivers as i heard that was a solution for someone else but the pc stays in a black screen state even for safe mode.

I tried starting the pc with only a display port to the motherboard. Black screen

I tried unplugging everything to the gpu but kept it in the pcie slot to test if there was insufficient power from the psu but the issue persists with the psu cables unplugged.

Any clues or suggestions i may have missed?
Thanks in advance

Specifications:
Intel i9-10900k
Gigabyte z590m gaming x motherboard
Aorus Rtx 3090 Xtreme
Hyperx 8+8 gb and 4+4 gb 2400hz
Corsair rx850m

Jan 19, 2022
Disconnect your secondary display from the motherboard and connect it to a second GPU port.

-Wolf sends

I have tried this. Still unsuccesful however.
The weirdest thing is that the peripherals stay powered off.

Edit: just did a cmos reset and then installed the gpu. Still a blackscreen with only display port towards ths gpu.
Peripherals still powered off

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021
I am experiencing a weird black screen issue where if i plug in my gpu, my pc runs but with black screens and all my peripherals (keyboard and mouse lighting) turned off. 1 monitor plugged in the motherboard via display port and the other monitor plugged in the gpu via displayport.
No logo or even a chance to get into the bios.
Complete black screen

However, once i remove my gpu from the pcie slot and turn my pc on again, my peripherals turn on and the system boots to windows with no issues.

This started to happen when i finished my new build where I decided to upgrade my rig from a i7-7700k to a i9-10990k. For that i also needed to change my motherboard and i chose the gigabyte z590m gaming x.

I used to run a seasonic 850w psu but i changed it for a corsair rm850x instead as i did not have a 2nd cpu cable from the seasonic psu to the new motherboard that needed a 8+4 connection.

It started weird after my build with an issue where the motherboard kept restarting every 5 seconds and gave me a black screen. I fixed this as someone suggested to install windows with the gpu unplugged and that got me in my first bios screen for this motherboard.
After installing windows, getting to the desktop and letting it update with all it windows security glory. I turned off my pc and installed the gpu. However then the black screen issue started happening.

I always update my bios on a new build.

I tried starting in safe mode so that i can install the nvidia drivers and then deactivate the intel drivers as i heard that was a solution for someone else but the pc stays in a black screen state even for safe mode.

I tried starting the pc with only a display port to the motherboard. Black screen

I tried unplugging everything to the gpu but kept it in the pcie slot to test if there was insufficient power from the psu but the issue persists with the psu cables unplugged.

Any clues or suggestions i may have missed?
Thanks in advance

Specifications:
Intel i9-10900k
Gigabyte z590m gaming x motherboard
Aorus Rtx 3090 Xtreme
Corsair rx850m

Might be worth testing the power supply.

Jan 19, 2022
I think you may have a short somewhere; peripherals are staying off because a short is detected. If that protection didn't work, you'd lose them.
I don't really have an idea beyond that, sorry.

How do you check that?
And everything works when the gpu is out of the system, so how can a short happen suddenly when the gpu is installed and disappear when it is removed?

Are you getting a good POST?

What do you mean with a good post?
The pc works and boots to windows normally when the gou is unplugged and outside of the system.

Might be worth testing the power supply.

The psu just came in new so i doubt that is the issue.

But how do i go about testing that?
I only have 1 other psu and for that one i am missing the extra 4pin cable towards the cpu on the new motherboard. Can i leave that one out and still start the system?

Jan 19, 2022
The psu just came in new so i doubt that is the issue.

But how do i go about testing that?
I only have 1 other psu and for that one i am missing the extra 4pin cable towards the cpu on the new motherboard. Can i leave that one out and still start the system?

I just tried another videocard i lent and that booted perfectly.
The videocard is a lower spec so it might be psu related as the power draw is lower.

I can conclude that the motherboard and its bios settings are correct and not the issue from this test right?

I doubt (and hope not) that my videocard card is bricked as it worked just before the build.
It seems to power on normally and the power leds stay off, meaning no errors, when using the new corsair psu.
Only giving me a blackscreen and no peripherals.

I tried hooking up my older psu externally only towards the gpu, however that gave my gpu blinking power leds. Meaning that the power delivery has an issue.
I guess from this that it is not possible to use another psu externally.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How do you check that?
And everything works when the gpu is out of the system, so how can a short happen suddenly when the gpu is installed and disappear when it is removed?
As I said, I don't really have an idea, but:
-if the gpu really were bricked, it shouldn't stop your peripherals from receiving power, at least.
-I recall seeing older threads were peripherals don't power on... and the source of the short was the USB ports. The mobo needed to be replaced in those scenarios.
-taking the gpu out, everything's fine.
-installing a different gpu, everything's fine.

Your 3090's the source of the short. I wish I knew more.

Aug 2, 2021
If you have a speaker for beep codes, a good POST(Power On Self-test) will usually generate 1 beep. I have a feeling your computer is not POSTing.

You could buy a power supply tester to test the power supply. I understand it is new, but faulty components aren't unheard of.

You could have a short, and if you want to test that, you could pull out your motherboard and set it on a piece of cardboard and see if it starts alright from there. Basically, if you have components touching parts of the case that it shouldn't be touching, this can cause a short, which means usually that the computer likely won't even turn on, so I tend to think this is less likely. This is easy to test though so it's worth a shot.

You can try resetting CMOS by pulling out the battery, or there may be a jumper on your motherboard to do this.

You could have a bad video card. The fact that everything starts fine with the other video card, suggests to me that either you're not getting enough power, or there's something wrong with your video card. If you can test your video card in another system, that would rule that out. You could also have, though unlikely, bad power cables running to your video card as well, though probably not since the other video card worked.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022
Thanks for the detailed reply.

If you have a speaker for beep codes, a good POST(Power On Self-test) will usually generate 1 beep. I have a feeling your computer is not POSTing.

I dont think i have or there is any indications for a good post, unfortunatly.

You could buy a power supply tester to test the power supply. I understand it is new, but faulty components aren't unheard of.

I just returned the psu and purchased a 1000w bequiet! Psu to 100% rule that out and the black screen still persists.

You could have a short, and if you want to test that, you could pull out your motherboard and set it on a piece of cardboard and see if it starts alright from there. Basically, if you have components touching parts of the case that it shouldn't be touching, this can cause a short, which means usually that the computer likely won't even turn on, so I tend to think this is less likely. This is easy to test though so it's worth a shot.

The short is highly unlikely indeed as the pc runs everytime i uninstall the gpu.
And it couldnt be the gpu weight literally bending the pcb all the way down to cause a short as i checked all the risers and reinstalled every screw. There is definitly no bending on the motherboard.

You can try resetting CMOS by pulling out the battery, or there may be a jumper on your motherboard to do this.

I have done this and the same result.
Blackscreen

You could have a bad video card. The fact that everything starts fine with the other video card, suggests to me that either you're not getting enough power, or there's something wrong with your video card. If you can test your video card in another system, that would rule that out. You could also have, though unlikely, bad power cables running to your video card as well, though probably not since the other video card worked.

This is probably the only unfortunate conclusion i have. However, even if the gpu is faulty, shouldnt the pc peripherals power on? Or switch to the intergrated graphics as there is no "working" gpu?
And i worked perfectly before the build on inferior hardware.
I am going to test it in another pc aswell.

I also checked the bios to disable gen4 pcie as the cpu doesnt support it.

And i also tried a bios setting where it ignores the pcie slots and boot with the intergrated graphics with the gpu installed. Same issue.

Currently i am trying to bypass the nvidia gpu check and force install a gpu driver. And then reboot with the gpu installed.

My last option is to just bring it in to a computer hardware store and have them test all the components.

Final suggestions are always welcome.

Aug 2, 2021
I have and that cant be the case as the cables are different shapes. They cant even fit into the modular psu.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I dont think i have or there is any indications for a good post, unfortunatly.

I just returned the psu and purchased a 1000w bequiet! Psu to 100% rule that out and the black screen still persists.

The short is highly unlikely indeed as the pc runs everytime i uninstall the gpu.
And it couldnt be the gpu weight literally bending the pcb all the way down to cause a short as i checked all the risers and reinstalled every screw. There is definitly no bending on the motherboard.

I have done this and the same result.
Blackscreen

This is probably the only unfortunate conclusion i have. However, even if the gpu is faulty, shouldnt the pc peripherals power on? Or switch to the intergrated graphics as there is no "working" gpu?
And i worked perfectly before the build on inferior hardware.
I am going to test it in another pc aswell.

I also checked the bios to disable gen4 pcie as the cpu doesnt support it.

And i also tried a bios setting where it ignores the pcie slots and boot with the intergrated graphics with the gpu installed. Same issue.

Currently i am trying to bypass the nvidia gpu check and force install a gpu driver. And then reboot with the gpu installed.

My last option is to just bring it in to a computer hardware store and have them test all the components.

Final suggestions are always welcome.

If your computer doesn't pass the POST process then it doesn't have anything to do with a driver, your computer hasn't gotten to the point of even trying to load drivers.

It's not about the graphics card being so heavy that the motherboard bends, it's that video card may be touching a metal part of the case that it shouldn't be, which causes an electrical short.

Jan 19, 2022
If your computer doesn't pass the POST process then it doesn't have anything to do with a driver, your computer hasn't gotten to the point of even trying to load drivers.

It's not about the graphics card being so heavy that the motherboard bends, it's that video card may be touching a metal part of the case that it shouldn't be, which causes an electrical short.

That is true.
I reseated the gpu multiple times still but i cant really see anything that could be touching the gpu. No cables are also near the gpu.

In that case I have to agree with Phaaze88 - 3090 seems to be shorting your system. As I understand it worked fine before, so it is just an accident that it failed when you were switching parts.

Really hope that is not the case. It looks fine and the gpu gives led errors when psu cables are not connected. So it is responding to something???

I am bringing my whole pc to a pc hardware store and see what they can find out.
I honestly gave up with the hours of trouble shooting.

I will update this thread if there are any updates.

Jan 19, 2022
Back with good news!

So after delivering my system to a pc service desk, they quick tested my pc and could not get a boot out of the system.
They took it in for service and tested each component individually.

In all of their results they found that every component i have works.
They tried a pcie gen-3 video card in the motherboard and that booted but whenever they tried a pcie gen-4 capable card, the system showed a black screen.
So that was their immediate conclusion to assume that the motherbord probably has a fabrication defect and emailed me the results.

I asked them to test my i9-10900k with my 3090 (gen-4 card) as well to rule out that my cpu has a defect.
But fortunatly that did get a boot on their test benches.

So i came by to pick up my system and purchased a msi z590 torpedo with it to build my system in.
That booted nicely and the board is much better in its unboxing presentation and manuals.

Everything seems to work now. only thing i have not tried yet is to start overclocking my cpu.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and problem solving.
Hopefully other people can find answers to their issues here.

Final system specs:
Intel i9-10900k
MSI MAG Z590 TORPEDO
Aorus Rtx 3090 Xtreme
Be quiet! Straight Power 11 1000W

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021
Back with good news!

So after delivering my system to a pc service desk, they quick tested my pc and could not get a boot out of the system.
They took it in for service and tested each component individually.

In all of their results they found that every component i have works.
They tried a pcie gen-3 video card in the motherboard and that booted but whenever they tried a pcie gen-4 capable card, the system showed a black screen.
So that was their immediate conclusion to assume that the motherbord probably has a fabrication defect and emailed me the results.

I asked them to test my i9-10900k with my 3090 (gen-4 card) as well to rule out that my cpu has a defect.
But fortunatly that did get a boot on their test benches.

So i came by to pick up my system and purchased a msi z590 torpedo with it to build my system in.
That booted nicely and the board is much better in its unboxing presentation and manuals.

Everything seems to work now. only thing i have not tried yet is to start overclocking my cpu.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and problem solving.
Hopefully other people can find answers to their issues here.

Final system specs:
Intel i9-10900k
MSI MAG Z590 TORPEDO
Aorus Rtx 3090 Xtreme
Be quiet! Straight Power 11 1000W

Thanks for following up and letting us know what happened!

Reactions: Premadness
Status
Not open for further replies.