[SOLVED] PC black-screens & restarts after installing new RAM?

masterfalcon3000

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017
So i bought a new ram today Gskill 3600mhz c16 (2x8) on B450 gaming plus max , And i did adjust it to 3600mhz as it supposed to be , After couple of minutes of playing games the pc goes into black screen and restart it self , So i did adjust the speed to 3200 mhz at 1.4 volt and it works

Notes : specs ryzen 3600 @3.7ghz b450 gaming plus max

I did try 3600mhz on 1.45 volts and the black screen restart appears again
I did run memtest86 on both sticks with no errors

Questions :
1-Isn't the ram supposed to run at 3600 mhz with no issues since that's the specs on it ? Or is it's a voltage issue ? [ I'm not an expert when comes to overclocking and adjusting the voltages ]
2- Does this issue a sign of defected ram ? should i return them back ?
3- Is 1.45 volt high and danger to harm the ram ? Can someone tell me the safest voltage for daily gaming use ?

Last edited:
Solution
@masterfalcon3000
The memory tests ok, so I doubt the issue is with the RAM. Would I send the RAM back? Maybe, but if I did I would replace it with another brand ... this could more of compatibility issue than a RAM issue. It sort of depends on where you got the RAM from and how generous they are on returns.

It is kinda possible that this is a heat issue if the inside of your box is getting hot while gaming (the crash/restart occurs only when gaming?)

If your RAM is rated for 3600 at 1.35V, why are you running it at 1.4V. More voltage = more heat and shorter life.

As to number 4. Check the fine print on your motherboard specs and it says 3600 is an overclock. It should work, but they don't promise it will work. None of...
@masterfalcon3000
You are only focused on the RAM and have not considered the memory controller. Ryzen 3000 memory controllers are speced at 3200 MHz, so 3600 MHz is technically an overclock. For 99% of Ryzen 3000s it is a very easy overclock, so people expect it work 100% of the time.

So, back to the question... is there something wrong with your RAM? Maybe, maybe not.
Will raising the voltage help? If this is a controller problem, then no.
Is 1.45 volts safe? It's more than I would use 24/7 ... I wouldn't go over 1.4.

My suggestion ... You are currently overclocking your CPU to 3.7 GHz (a mild overclock). When testing new RAM I would generally stop overclocking the CPU until I got things working. Give that a try. If it ends up that a stock CPU speed works with 3600 RAM, but an overclocked CPU doesn't, then you have to decide which gives you more performance. If your RAM still won't hit 3600, then you might consider returning it, but I wouldn't promise that a new kit will help you hit 3600.

Another consideration ... Does 3600 C16 give you more, less, or about the same performance as 3200 C14 (if you RAM can do that)?

And finally, something to read: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310.html

masterfalcon3000

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017
@masterfalcon3000
You are only focused on the RAM and have not considered the memory controller. Ryzen 3000 memory controllers are speced at 3200 MHz, so 3600 MHz is technically an overclock. For 99% of Ryzen 3000s it is a very easy overclock, so people expect it work 100% of the time.

So, back to the question... is there something wrong with your RAM? Maybe, maybe not.
Will raising the voltage help? If this is a controller problem, then no.
Is 1.45 volts safe? It's more than I would use 24/7 ... I wouldn't go over 1.4.

My suggestion ... You are currently overclocking your CPU to 3.7 GHz (a mild overclock). When testing new RAM I would generally stop overclocking the CPU until I got things working. Give that a try. If it ends up that a stock CPU speed works with 3600 RAM, but an overclocked CPU doesn't, then you have to decide which gives you more performance. If your RAM still won't hit 3600, then you might consider returning it, but I wouldn't promise that a new kit will help you hit 3600.

Another consideration ... Does 3600 C16 give you more, less, or about the same performance as 3200 C14 (if you RAM can do that)?

And finally, something to read: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310.html
Appreciate the reply

1-Yes I tried 3600mhz with stock cpu clocks , I also pushed the voltage to 1.47 and the black screen restart did appear , Also tried every kit by it self but i got the same results

2- No errors are shown in memtest , The only problem i get is the black screen restart thing

3-If you were me should i return it back ? or this is the limit of my cpu and motherboard , i'm worried about the black screen restart or an another error will appear in the future even with 3200mhz as i'm planning to keep this kit for like 2 to 3 years from now .

4-I'm concerned about what i paid for so it should work as the specs that shown for both motherboard and cpu

5-my full ram specs are : Gskill 3600mhz cl16-19-19-39 1.35v

@masterfalcon3000
The memory tests ok, so I doubt the issue is with the RAM. Would I send the RAM back? Maybe, but if I did I would replace it with another brand ... this could more of compatibility issue than a RAM issue. It sort of depends on where you got the RAM from and how generous they are on returns.

It is kinda possible that this is a heat issue if the inside of your box is getting hot while gaming (the crash/restart occurs only when gaming?)

If your RAM is rated for 3600 at 1.35V, why are you running it at 1.4V. More voltage = more heat and shorter life.

As to number 4. Check the fine print on your motherboard specs and it says 3600 is an overclock. It should work, but they don't promise it will work. None of the motherboard makers will promise that because they know some CPUs will overclock better than others. That are just saying the option to try those speeds is available.

Solution