[SOLVED] PC boot problem ?

Jun 16, 2024
My pc won't turn on

I have a pc , with a old HDD of a laptop which was extremely slow and have now switched to a SSD and use the HDD just as storage, now sometimes when I boot up my pc the computer detects the HDD and somtimes(happening recently) doesn't..today in the morning when I shutoff my pc the monitor turned off but the RGB fans and the on indicator on the cabinet was still on I waited for 5 mins then also i didn't turn off so I left it as it is and returned after 4 hours and now when I try to turn it on with the power key nothing would happen , i once disconnected the HDD it turned on but again after connecting it doesn't work.. what should I do and also if I throw away the HDD then what should I do because all the pictures, downloads , documents folders of the c drive where placed on the HDD to save the maximum space for the os...

My pc won't turn on

I have a pc , with a old HDD of a laptop which was extremely slow and have now switched to a SSD and use the HDD just as storage, now sometimes when I boot up my pc the computer detects the HDD and somtimes(happening recently) doesn't..today in the morning when I shutoff my pc the monitor turned off but the RGB fans and the on indicator on the cabinet was still on I waited for 5 mins then also i didn't turn off so I left it as it is and returned after 4 hours and now when I try to turn it on with the power key nothing would happen , i once disconnected the HDD it turned on but again after connecting it doesn't work.. what should I do and also if I throw away the HDD then what should I do because all the pictures, downloads , documents folders of the c drive where placed on the HDD to save the maximum space for the os...
Time to think about failing HDD is before it fails, that's what backup is for. It's never IF a drive would fail but WHEN.
By symptoms it's most probably failing electronics on the HDD, Get an SATA to USB adapter so you can start PC normally and if the system can see it, there are many programs that you can use to rescue at least some files of it. Otherwise, only option is to send to (expensive) data rescue service if data is of extreme importance. Even that doesn't guarantee all of data back.

Jun 16, 2024
Time to think about failing HDD is before it fails, that's what backup is for. It's never IF a drive would fail but WHEN.
By symptoms it's most probably failing electronics on the HDD, Get an SATA to USB adapter so you can start PC normally and if the system can see it, there are many programs that you can use to rescue at least some files of it. Otherwise, only option is to send to (expensive) data rescue service if data is of extreme importance. Even that doesn't guarantee all of data back.
but my pc won't boot up actually, so should I first boot up the pc without the HDD and then connect the HDD and backup files

Jun 16, 2024
Connecting by USB should not interfere with BOOT but you can also connect it at any time.
ok thank you sir for sparing your time , actually before connecting the SSD to USB I had beaten my old laptop HDD real hard 😂😂😂 and then booted the pc. It turns on now so I made a backup of the files in my SSD and now it's ok.

Reactions: CountMike