PC boots but no image with a GTX750ti. Have tried everything. From where comes the issue? motherboard?PSU? the card?

HelpGraf

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
Hi :)

You may have already read a few threads from me posted a month ago about an issue i had with a newly acquired GTX 750 it. I thought it was solved since then, but in fact, it's not.

Here's a recap:

I've bought a MSI GTX 750 ti (without PCI-Express connector, only powered by the PCI slot) to improve my PC (based on a motherboard Gigabyte ga-ma785gmt-ud2h rev 1.1, roughly 5 years old, and an Athlon X2), play and mine a bit.

At the time, my PC was booting and was even reaching windows (i know it as my wifi dongle is only turning on when windows has started), but without anything on screen. I was using a HP 300w PSU, so folks here advised me to change it for something more powerful and stable.

I've purchased an Antec 600w bronze PSU, and then the GTX was working. Nonetheless, since one month, every now and then, i had the same issue that with my old PSU, the PC boots but without anything on screen. I am generally able to fix this by unplugging/plugging the components inside my rig.

I thought this issue was again deriving of the PSU (it was emitting an annoying hissing/rattling noise), and changed to a 550w platinum of high quality, but this time, the GTX wasn't displaying anything. I switched back to the Antec PSU and it worked 70% of the time as explained.

I have dealt with this tiresome situation until today, when regardless of my manipulations, the PC boots but i don't have an image. I'm currently using an embedded graphic chipset in my motherboard as a last resort while trying to resolve this problem.

So, what do you think is the issue?

- PSU: At first, i thought it was because of that, but i have the same problem with three different PSU, 2 news with a power above 500w which is more than enough for my rig (my CPU is like 60/70w, the GTX 750 ti is 38w and Nvidia recommends a 400w PSU).
- The GTX 750 ti: It's brand new, and when it worked, it worked fine (good performances, no artifacts). But i'm wondering if i don't have a semi-defective unit. When checking the back PCB, there are some "strains" around some chips, wonder if it's normal (not burns, just light strains).
- The motherboard: it's 5 years old, i'm wondering if it's not too old to handle this recent graphic card, especially as it's only through the motherboard and the PCI slot that the GTX is receiving its power. Perhaps the MB isn't reliable/stable enough in that light (although even if i don't have an image on the screen, the GTX fans are turning which would mean it's at least partially powered). I've tried another CG (an old radeon x1600 hypermemory), and it's working, so not sure if it's coming from the pci-e slot. Note that the MSI card is very long and hit a heatsink (but it hasn't prevented the card to work, when it worked).

So i'm a bit lost here, i would like to avoid sending the GTX for an RMA if the issue isn't coming from it. I may also buy a cheap micro atx motherboard and a new CPU to spruce up my rig (preferably intel isn't it?) but not sure it's the right time for this and what to acquire (and perhaps the issue isn't coming from my satisfactory enough mb+cpu).

Please help :cry:

Solution
These are some things I found out on the webz.

"I had similar problems with GTX 750 Ti also, Windows wouldn't display anything but a black screen. I then booted from the Windows install DVD using UEFI boot and reinstalled Windows, then everything works as it should. When I had problems, the Windows installation was not using UEFI boot."

"System is running fine for more than a week now. Fedora 20, Gigabyte H87-HD3, Intel i5-4670

workaround : update BIOS to F6 and disable intel GPU in BIOS

present kernel 3.13.10-200.fc20.x86_64 line :
ro rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 rd.luks=0 vconsole.keymap=us nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau rd.driver.blacklist=i915 rd.driver.blacklist=drm video=vesa:eek:ff video.allow_duplicates=1...

Hello man

Honorable

You jumped the CMOS yet? Unplug he PC, then use the jumper to clear the CMOS memory. Have the card installed when you start up the computer again.

Nordein

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
These are some things I found out on the webz.

"I had similar problems with GTX 750 Ti also, Windows wouldn't display anything but a black screen. I then booted from the Windows install DVD using UEFI boot and reinstalled Windows, then everything works as it should. When I had problems, the Windows installation was not using UEFI boot."

"System is running fine for more than a week now. Fedora 20, Gigabyte H87-HD3, Intel i5-4670

workaround : update BIOS to F6 and disable intel GPU in BIOS

present kernel 3.13.10-200.fc20.x86_64 line :
ro rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 rd.luks=0 vconsole.keymap=us nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau rd.driver.blacklist=i915 rd.driver.blacklist=drm video=vesa:eek:ff video.allow_duplicates=1 LANG=en_US.UTF-8

installed latest nvidia beta driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-337.12.bin" (this one may not be relevant)

"Plug the monitor to the onboard video port, Boot into the Bios of the computer, and change the primary adapter from Onboard Video to PCI-E, then switch the monitor back to the 750 TI and it should work."

Good luck I hope you can find a solution!

Solution

HelpGraf

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
Thanks for your answers.

I'm using the VGA port (don't have DVI). For your solutions Nordein, the first seems irrelevant (i have a black screen from the start, not just only windows. I don't see the bios). The second is interesting but the motherboard is different. For mine, the latest bios is the F10b version, perhaps if i switch it back to F9, it would be better?

Nordein

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014

It is possible, it may just have been a bios issue all this time and the newest version could just hate your GPU. If they is not an issue you might as well keep surfing through your bios menus and see if there is anything out of the ordinary that could pertain to your visual displays.

Hello man

Honorable

Try the BIOS rollback. Is there a speaker attached to your motherboard? If there is, it should be down by the CMOS jumper.

HelpGraf

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
for the bios options, i've tried by activating the onboard graphic chipset, deactiving it, etc, with no effects.

For the bios rollback, i hope it won't affect the rest of the pc. Do you think that rolling back from a 4 years old bios to a 4 years and half or 5 years old bios could improve the situation? :/

Hello man

Honorable

That is a ways, maybe 2?

HelpGraf

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
i have received an answer from the Gigabyte support, with a screenshot from them, showing the same motherboard with the same bios and a GTX 750 ti running fine. For them, it's not coming from the motherboard.

So it seems more and more that the issue comes from the graphic card...

Hello man

Honorable

RMA it, see what happens with a new one.

HelpGraf

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
I have received two different messages from Gigabyte technical support to my requests (sent at different time, the first time my GTX wasn't working 3 times out of 10, the second time, no signal video at all).

In the first one, they told me it wasn't coming from the motherboard and provided me a screenshot showing techpowerup/cpu-z with the same motherboard and graphic card than me.

In the second one, they explained that Nvidia 7 series and AMD R9 series graphic cards aren't supported by my motherboard as it's not UEFI.

So which answer to believe? I find the second one weird as i was able to make it work for several weeks, and themselves too, but perhaps they meant that it could work but it would be instable (hence my issues)?

Depending on which one is correct, the consequences are completely different. Perhaps my GTX is faulty, or perhaps i have to replace my motherboard :/