[SOLVED] PC boots, CPU fan doesn't spin

Nov 25, 2021
I just finished building my new PC with a new cpu and mobo (i5-11400, MSI B560M PRO-VDH) and when I start the computer the cpu fan doesn't spin at all. I've tried connecting it to the system and pump headers to the same result, and connecting a case fan to the cpu header works, so the issue seems to be on the fan itself. Sometimes it's possible to see the fan twitch back and forth a bit as if it's trying to spin, and when I spin it with my finger it then spins back a bit, but nothing gets it to run.
I'm considering getting the cpu replaced but as it's thursday night, with shipping back and forth it's gonna take a week if not more, so I'm looking to see if there's any way of fixing it.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Your fan is broken. Likely some plastic part has snapped which was holding the motor together. No, there is no way to fix that.

don’t run the pc with no CPU fan, even for a few minutes. Just don’t.

don’t replace the whole CPU, you just need a new fan, they are usually a few bucks. There’s no need to ship anything anywhere, just order a fan from Amazon and it will be with you pretty fast.