Question PC boots up twice when restarting it

citizenloveless

Commendable
Nov 18, 2017
A while back I switched to a new MOBO and it seems to work fine, except when you restart it. If you press the restart button or restart it from OC it reboots twice, if you turn it off, then boot it up it boots up normally. It goes like this: press restart>it turns off>turns on>black screen (no POST)>a few seconds later pc powers down>restarts itself>it boots up. I'm honestly lost here. Any idea what could be causing this?

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-SLI
CPU: i7 4790
GPU: Galax gtx 1080
RAM: Kingston DDR3 8gb

Last edited:

citizenloveless

Commendable
Nov 18, 2017
I had an asus board that did that, turned out to be a compatibility with the ram , I changed it with another set and it stopped doing it.
Yeah, after checking and re-checking that everything is connected properly a thousand times and playing with different BIOS settings I think it's safe to say it's most likely some compatibility issues. That or something's not right with the PSU.

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Did you OC something? Had a similar problem on Asus boards, they have a tendency to restart if the OC fails and they try to restart it again to see is it fixed. And if it works after that they will NOT show you that OC has failed bios message. Maybe that is causing some problems (i updated bios and took out the cpu,ram and gpu and just pluged them back in again, never had the problem after that)

citizenloveless

Commendable
Nov 18, 2017
Did you OC something? Had a similar problem on Asus boards, they have a tendency to restart if the OC fails and they try to restart it again to see is it fixed. And if it works after that they will NOT show you that OC has failed bios message. Maybe that is causing some problems (i updated bios and took out the cpu,ram and gpu and just pluged them back in again, never had the problem after that)
No, I haven't done any overclocking on this particular pc.