Specs:

Motherboard
: ASRock B450M Pro4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: Corsair 2x 8GB DDR4 3200
SSD: Western Digital Blue 1TB M.2 2280
PSU: Corsair CXM 450W
GPU: ASUS GTX970-DCMOC-4GD5 (used by friend but tested beforehand) seen here

My PC will not boot with the graphics card installed but everything seems to work fine without it. Here are the 3 scenarios of what happens.
  1. GPU is installed and connected to PSU via PCI: Nothing happens when I press power button.
  2. GPU is installed but not connected to PSU via PCI: CPU and PSU spins start spinning for a second when I press power button, then stop. Nothing happens when I press power button again. If I shut off power on PSU and turn it back on and press the power button, those two fans will again spin for a second and then stop.
  3. GPU is completely removed from motherboard: CPU and PSU start and continue to spin when I press power button.
This is my first PC build and has been quite the ordeal so any ideas would be welcome! Thank you in advance

Solution
How long has that CX450M been in service? In other words, how old is it?

How would you know if the system works fine without the graphics card, since that system has no integrated graphics? Did you try a DIFFERENT graphics card in it's place?

Have you tried the graphics card in a different system?

I think you need to either try a better, higher capacity power supply in THIS system, WITH this graphics card

Or

Try the graphics card in a different system WITH a different, higher capacity PSU, or try a different graphics card that doesn't need more than a 450w power supply, in THIS system.

Any of those things should tell you something but honestly it sounds as though it's just a bad card, whether it worked before or not is of no...
How long has that CX450M been in service? In other words, how old is it?

How would you know if the system works fine without the graphics card, since that system has no integrated graphics? Did you try a DIFFERENT graphics card in it's place?

Have you tried the graphics card in a different system?

I think you need to either try a better, higher capacity power supply in THIS system, WITH this graphics card

Or

Try the graphics card in a different system WITH a different, higher capacity PSU, or try a different graphics card that doesn't need more than a 450w power supply, in THIS system.

Any of those things should tell you something but honestly it sounds as though it's just a bad card, whether it worked before or not is of no consequence. Everything, ever, worked fine, before it didn't.

Solution