PC Bottlenecking my connection?

crab_104

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
I have a 300mbps download plan and first thing I did when service was installed was run a speed test. Wired connection, and the highest download I can get is 164mbps. My upload speeds are fine though at 31mbps. I schedule an appointment and the cable guy comes to test the connection. He tests from the ethernet cable straight from the modem which got him 360mbps download and 30 upload, and then he test from the coax cable which got him around 260mbps download.

Using the same cables and everything, as stated, I am only getting 164mbps max download speeds going into my actual pc. Any solutions to fixing this problem maybe in bios settings or anything else?

Specs are:
MODEM: MOTOROLA MG7550
VIDEO: EVGA GeForce(R) GTX 1070 Hybrid Gaming 8GB GDDR5
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 ATX
MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/3000MHz
CPU: Intel(R) Core Processor i5-6600K 3.50GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache
LGA1151

Solution
Did he show you what test he was doing?
He may of been in the isp network. At their own server possibly.
high speed plans are often oversold and you almost never get stated speeds, esp outside their network.

You don't have a powerline or anything like that do you?

make sure your drivers are updated from the manufacturers website.
one way to see if it's a software issue is to try a live version of Ubuntu from usb and run tests.
Did he show you what test he was doing?
He may of been in the isp network. At their own server possibly.
high speed plans are often oversold and you almost never get stated speeds, esp outside their network.

You don't have a powerline or anything like that do you?

make sure your drivers are updated from the manufacturers website.
one way to see if it's a software issue is to try a live version of Ubuntu from usb and run tests.

Solution