Question PC BSOD after 5 minutes of playing games

May 14, 2019
Everytime i play a game, my pc gives me the BSOD after 5 minutes and restarts. And it shows a black screen with a white short line at the top left. It takes 226.8 seconds to start. And when it makes a one short beep when it exits the black screen and i see the BIOS logo and all. It's normal start time is like 10 seconds or so. Ran the Memory Diagnostic Tool, did the sfc scannow, ran a GPU stress test, did a clean format, uninstalled GPU drivers and reinstalled them, updated BIOS, nothing helped. I'm out of options right now. Save me from this wretched hell.

PC specifications:
CPU:
Intel i5 6600k 3.5 Ghz (Used the Game Boost feature of MSI and got it up to 3.9 GHz)
RAM: Hyperx Fury Black 8GB DDR4
GPU: ASUS RX460 4GB GDDR5 OC 128Bit
Motherboard: MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK AC

So far these are the error messages:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA What failed: dxgkrn.sys
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Most common error)
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
MEMORY_MANAGMENT

My first post in this website, so be gentle.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019
The first thing that comes to mind given the errors you're receiving is an out of date or bad driver. Not necessarily your GPU, but something that gets used when you're gaming at least. Is this a prebuilt machine or one you built yourself?

Sharing your minidump would help diagnose the issue.

Last edited:
I would check the temps and the voltages.
Many times when a PC crashes after certain period of time of being stressed (by playing a game).....it's one of these two things.
You can check the temps and voltages with HWInfo.
Just the temps can be checked with Afterburner.

May 14, 2019
The dump shows it as a memory management error from the kernel. Unfortunately this particular dump doesn't give much more to go on than that.

Given what you've said here I'd be very surprised if this wasn't being caused by a driver. First thing I'd do is check your GPU driver version and search if other people have had issues with it. Failing that, do the same (and check for updates for) your SSD/HDD drivers.

If you see the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION crash again, try to get the minidump for that because I have a feeling it'll lead us down the right path.

May 14, 2019
The dump shows it as a memory management error from the kernel. Unfortunately this particular dump doesn't give much more to go on than that.

Given what you've said here I'd be very surprised if this wasn't being caused by a driver. First thing I'd do is check your GPU driver version and search if other people have had issues with it. Failing that, do the same (and check for updates for) your SSD/HDD drivers.

If you see the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION crash again, try to get the minidump for that because I have a feeling it'll lead us down the right path.
I am trying to trigger the error right now, no luck right now.

May 14, 2019

I couldnt get the error after 40-50 tries, so i guess its a dead end?

Colif

Win 11 Master
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA What failed: dxgkrn.sys is normally GPU drivers, you may have fixed it if you ran ddu after the last BSOD and replaced drivers.

if most common is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL then its likely drivers.

Have you run Live Update 6? its on the utility page of your motherboards website - it will make sure you have latest drivers - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-TOMAHAWK-AC#down-driver&Win10 64

if it happens again, try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. All the errors are data related so could be ram as well.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/hSQr.html

File information:051419-6656-01.dmp (May 14 2019 - 12:56:49)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-TOMAHAWK.html
It appears you have the latest BIOS already installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS